7 week old unable to sleep due to colic.

She keeps having spasms in her tummy, even while she sleeps so that it wakes her up. I know colic peaks at 6-8 weeks but how long should I expect this to go on? This has been going on all day long for several days. I have given her Simethacon, Gripe Water and a little Chamomille tea. Help!

Yoda77

Asked by Yoda77 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get a wrap.

my youngest was colicky....I got a wrap and she was so much more comfortable, and would sleep and be happy. baby is pushed right up against your belly when you are wrapped, legs are in the right position, and as you move it massages and moves baby - helps with gas, and icky tummies.

mine's a hoppediz wrap. you can learn more about them mamatoto.org.

wish I had mine for the first two, but only had it for the third. she's 2 and still prefers it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Mine slept better in his car seat than laying down, you can try that.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Oh these moms have some great advice. Two of my babies slept in the carseat by my bed for the first few months. Either that or nursing beside me in my bed. I agree to get a wrap of some kind. You can look up how to wrap them online if you just have a long piece of fabric. My daughter loved it! It really was all that would keep her from crying ~well that and nursing her! lol
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 11:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I would try a wrap and if you nurse take her to bed with you and whenever she wakes up try to nurse her back down, you can do that in your sleep lol..

I know a lot of people do it but I would not recommend letting her sleep in her car seast for a long period of time. My chiropractor told me that it can hurt their spines to sleep several month in carseats and I would not take that risk for my own comfort, but that's me though...
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 11:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I completely agree with what these moms are recommending with the wrap and the carseat....but one more thought....are you breastfeeding or formula or both? I exclusively breastfed with my two youngest and never had a problem, BUT with my oldest girl, I had to supplement with formula...and she experienced colic...my doctor told me to experiment with different forumulas....he said stuff like enfalac was pretty harsh on the tummy...as soon as I switched her to nestle goodstart, she was fine! I don't expect that is the problem with EVERY baby who has colic, but its worth a try !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My youngest was colicky. The video Happiest Baby on the Block was a real blessing to us. Wrapping is key I think, and sometimes gas drops helped, but we also had to switch to a hypoallergenic formula (cause of tummy issues), both Similiac and Enfamil make one. Its much more expensive than regular formula but it was well worth it.
    GeoLeoMom

Answer by GeoLeoMom at 4:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2009