What inexpensive meals do you make?

Lori-1008

Asked by Lori-1008 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• sloppy joes and spaghetti
    haydns_mommy

Answer by haydns_mommy at 10:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• nothing I make is expensive....

every meal I make is under $10 for a family of 5. and $10 is on the high side.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Please give specific examples of foods that you make!
    Lori-1008

Answer by Lori-1008 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• There's a few of them. Shepard's Pie being the most popular with my family.... The Homestyle Bakes are really easy and run around three dollars a box ( I usually make two). Shepard's Pie is a hamburger casserole. If you'd like the recipe message me, and I'll give it to you. It's also super easy. Chicken and Noodles. Just a chicken, and egg noodles. Cheesey hambuger has always been a hit with the children. Just ground up hamburger covered in cheese. I've known them to like a sandwich or just in a bowl....
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• wow, I need some recipes from hypermamaz !!

I try to make the best meal I can on a budget, but I will admit I'll running out of ideas and getting tired of the old stand-by.
    here is on of my fav.

cocunut chicken curry

instant rice
    chicken
    can coconut milk
    curry powder

simmer the milk and seasoning
    meanwhile cook chicken
    boil rice
    mix and enjoy!
    ( I add chopped onion and potatoes occasionally)
    going to try adding peanuts next time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I buy all my meat inbulk - large roast for $20 cut into steaks canmake 4-5 portioned meals (5steaks per bag), large trays chicken legs portioned into 8in a bag

I do a monthly meal plan and only shop once.

spagetti
    meatballs rice
    salisbury steaks mashed potatoes
    fried chicken
    bbq chicken.
    pork chops and rice/baked potato/mashed
    steak baked/fries

everything's really simple and basic (sadly my family isn't very adventurous and likes the mundane).

a meat, veggie and a starch.

its so routine that I don't even think about it. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The cheapest foods are the ones that take the longest to prepare: dried beans and peas, tough cuts of meat, whole grains (not flour, actual grains, like pot barley, whole wheat berries, millet, brown rice) and the out-of-style vegetables that no one has been promoting as 'healthy' like cabbage, onioins and potatoes.

One of the cheapest (and fastest meals) I make is vegetarian split pea soup, made in a pressure cooker in under 20 minutes -- including the time it takes to pick over the peas and chop the veg. A pound of split peas is about 50 cents, and adding onions, carrots, potatoes and dried herbs, along with water and the whole thing costs about a buck and a half, and feeds 4 people. Make some fresh, homemade biscuits, or serve with homemade garlic toast and fresh fruit for dessert, and 6 people can eat for under $1 each.

Another thing: if it fills you for 20 minutes and then you're hungry, it's not 'cheap' food.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• if you can force yourself to try it TOFU is really cheap....I just bought a package which feeds four of us (hubby won't even try it)....I slice it thinly and coat it with my own version of shake'n bake and bake it in the oven for about 20 mins on 400F and serve it with steamed broccoli and plain sweet potatoes....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• oh, just to add to my last answer....the TOFU I bought was only $1.49 and it fed four of us....and the kids LOVED it....as long as you slice it thinly and bake it well, the texture is not that sickening jello-like consistency....it is more like turkey or chicken...
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I make spaghetti and meatballs a lot. I almost make a good meatloaf and a chicken and rice dinner. All are fairly cheap and homemade.

Non-homeade meals that I make would include hamburger helper, Ravioli, and things of that nature.
    Bubbles318

Answer by Bubbles318 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009