So I'm looking for some advise on running a home daycare.

What have you found works really well for you, or what do you like about your childs daycare?
I've worked in a daycare before and want to be able to stay home with my 3 kids.
Things I will already do:
Prepare lunch and snacks the night before.
Prepare a week in advance of activities, creatives and learning/teaching time for older kids(a year or older).
I plan on having my main floor set up for this as the basement will be finished hopefully by sept, oct. at the latest.
What are somethings that you have seen/tried that have worked? Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• you have to make parents sign a contract. even if its family and friends - especially. i learned the hard way. if you make EVERYONE sign a contract, and treat all parents the same - even if its family - it works better. friends change when it comes to money. trust me.
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my dd's babysitters basement had large play stuff, like the big plastic playhouse and slide. It was great for days when they couldnt go outside. she had nap time and a tv for the older kids to watch while the younger ones slept.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• keep family and business seperate. i do agree with tiffany8168. contracts are a must for everyone.
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 11:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My Bradley instructor had a "basement" daycare; she had a small room off the main one with a bed(s) for napping or a sick child. If you can set up an area like that, perhaps a curtain or a screen...
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• first thing is to check out state regulations !! cps can help you with this, you have to have things in place before starting daycare. You have to have adults available per so many kids in some states. A n evacuation plan has to be in place and most states require cpr training. Does homeowner's or renter's insurance cover this. If you rent you have to clear it with the landlord. the days of just keeping kids for neighbor's are long gone. Most places you have to hace certification.Nutrtion , emergency plans and wht times you wnat to run the daycare are crucial but state regs are a must for your protection and the kids. Must of all make sure you can handle it multiple kids can be stressful and fulltime attention is a must !! get your ducks in row before beginning.good luck
    gmarose

Answer by gmarose at 1:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2009