How can I more easily transition my daughter to her own bed when she's over 1yro?

She has been a co-sleeper since 1 month old and shes 100% breastfed. When I switch her to whole milk after age 1, I want to transition her to her own crib or a playpen. Any advice or suggestions?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd start with naptime in bed. when you make it have her in the room, and make it exciting for BIG GIRLS!

is it in her own room?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have no idea how you talk a pre-verbal child into accepting a much lower level of nurturing and care than she is used to, but I have questions about the plan to do so...

Why would you switch her to whole milk at a year? Just curious why anyone'd replace the ideal human baby food, which is free, with the ideal bovine baby food, which is not free... and what has a year got to do with it?

I'm often curious about what the number of times the planet has travelled around the sun has to do with anything... if the baby's thriving, what's the change for?

My 'baby' is heading to the UK tomorrow. She's 17, she's paid for the entire trip on her own and she's going alone. She weaned at 3.5 years, and regularly slept in her own bed by the time she was 8. She sat on my lap until she was 12. Poor, over-protected miss, who never got pushed to grow up 'fast enough'. She'll never learn to be independent. She's moving out in Sept.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It might be prudent to only make one big change at a time - if you are planning to wean her from the breast at that time, you may want to hold off separating her from you at night at the same time. It might seem easier to just do it all at once and get it over with, but in the long run it can be more upsetting for the child. She doesn't know she's turning one, kwim? All she knows is that her needs haven't really changed that much but that all the sudden you aren't nursing her anymore and she's sleeping alone. Others will say just DO IT but I caution against that, it might be easier for you but it's not for her. My suggestion is, begin gradually transitioning her from your bed gently and while remaining responsive to her needs. Once she is sleeping on her own, weaning from the breast may be easier on you both.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• And you will find, as you go along, that there are certain windows of time when weaning or sleep separation are easier, and times when trying to force one of those is like fighting a tiger. If it's a huge struggle, stop, and wait for a time when it's smooth and feels right to everyone. A year old is a time of HUGE changes in their mobility, in their understanding, in their independence, and because of that they can really require extra security and comfort... choosing to wean and stop sleeping with her during that time when perhaps she needs that stability to anchor her new-found-independence might backfire. Or at the very least, might be needlessly difficult. Respond to her needs, not to others' opinions.

Keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with having her continue to sleep in your bed, and nothing wrong with continuing to nurse her. In fact, I can think of several reasons that those choices are pretty great! :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• LindaClement... This is my damn point. U don't even know her situation! Maybe she's going back to work. I am so damn sock of people judging before they know what the fu*k is going on. Get off your high horse! Gawd!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• **sick**
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2009