how to get 7.5 month old not to want a mid night bottle?

I know he's not actually hungry, he has a bottle right before bed. Every night in between the hours of 2am-5am (he sleeps 9pm-7am) he wakes up and wants a bottle to help him fall back to sleep. He uses a paci at night also. I want to break this habit, his teeth are starting to poke through and I don't want the formula rotting his new little teeth! Last night I didn't give in and give him a bottle and he cried and tossed and turned for over an hour. Do I just keep denying him the mid night bottle until he no longer wants one? Thanks :)

dze527

Asked by dze527 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you want to lay him down for bed you should feed him baby cereal or baby food.Then when he is finished give him a nice warm bath.That should help him sleep all through the night.Thats what I do with my 6.5 month old and it works.I also did it with my 4 yr old when he was a baby.Works like a charm.They get a full belly and relax in the warm bath and they get very sleepy.Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.Good Luck!
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Ok I will. Thanks :)
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Every baby is defferent. I have four kids. My oldest slept through the night at 6 weeks! That tricked me because the next three didnt at all! Actually the youngest two are 3 and almost 2 and they still get up. I would just give him the bottle. I brestfed my kids so if they woke up they got the boob and went right back to sleep. They are only babies for a little while.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 11:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I read not to put a baby down with a bottle because it can cause the teeth to rot...so wouldn't giving him a mid night bottle do the same? I use the infant tooth and gum cleaner after his last bottle for the night so I really don't want that milk sitting on his teeth until morning. I'm sure I'm putting too much thought into all this! I'm a first time mom!
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Oh I didnt know you were putting him to bed WITH the bottle. I would just hold him and give it to him.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 5:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm not putting him to bed with it. I hold it and feed it to him. I just didn't know if the milk on his teeth would rot it the same as if I were putting him to bed with a bottle. But thanks to both of you who answered :)
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Just give him the boob! lol
    zayners

Answer by zayners at 10:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2009