• In the Spotlight:

What do I do??

O.K. so my friend has a daughter who will be two in Oct. Her house is covered in cat feces. I willnot go into that house, let alone take my son there. The little girl's face is always dirty... There are five adults, and four children living in this three bedroom home. Three of the children are under two. I recently found out that one of the cats (there's quite a few) sleeps in the baby's bed with her... So I tell her, Don't you know cats steal a baby's breath? She's says that that's only a myth. I tell her it isn't, that a cat smells milk on a baby's breath. I don't have anything against cats, but they have too many that they don't take care of... or clean up after. None of these children are tooken care of; they're always sick. I've tried helping her want her child to be clean, and live in a clean house but it just isn't working. I hate the thought of those children, but she's been a friend since we were kids....

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 11:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would CPS. The most important thing here is that these kids are taken care of. CPS will send someone to look at the house, and they can not be denied. If they determine the house to a danger t the children, the kids can be removed until the house is fit for them. Which will mean to get rid of some of the cats.Also, some of the people may have to move out. It can be considered a fire hazard for that many people in a small home like that. You can even call CPS anonymously. But the most important thing here is the welfare of the kids. As far as the dirt, you should see my kids on a regular basis. They are constantly playing in the dirt and with sweating they get dirty. I do wash it before we go out, but here at the house it looks like they haven't bathed in days.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• That is disgusting and unacceptable. Those kids deserve a healthy chance at life. I would go over sometime and take pictures of the cat feces and turn them into CPS.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My son wears his food and rolls around in dirt and mud, so I would not be concerned simply because her face is dirty, the house is messy, or even that her children are frequently sick (lots of children are like that); but if the cause is house covered with animal waste, or she is hoarding possessions to a degree that the house is unsafe, that is different and may warrant a call to CPS. Just be honest and only report what you have seen and not what you suppose is true.

It may be that she has untreated mental illness...

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree that CPS may need to step in if the house is covered in animal waste. However, it IS a myth that the cat will steal the baby's breath. We have 2 cats and 3 kids, they are all fine. The cats lay w/ my kids sometimes, but they do not try and get in their mouths!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yeah, I'd call someone. That's nasty. But to be fair, she isn't going to listen to you, because you are using myths to back up facts. Animals can't steal a baby's breath. It can be dangerous depending on how old the baby is, though.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree report your concerns to child welfare services in your hometown. they will check out the living conditions , It is unhealthy to have the house that way. Is the mother or adults into things they shouldn't be if so too bad the kids come first!! Please seek help call and give your concerns to the authorties. Cats do ot still your breath. My daughter has two and they adore my grandson. Her house is clean!! Litterbox people!! Te main thing is the welfare of the kids . Is the Mom stressed ? Overwhelmed? is she doing it all and the other adults don't care. If she is a friend can you talk to her about it first, before cps if you can't do that - MAKE THE CALL , cats can spread diseases from them to humans!!
    gmarose

Answer by gmarose at 12:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• MILWAUKEE, June 9.--The old superstition that a cat will suck the breath of a sleeping child and thus cause its death has been revived in this vicinity recently by the circulation of a story that the 3-days-old babe of Mrs. Henry Crocker had met his death in this way. [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ] .... The cat did smother the child. By laying on it's face. I'm not bashing cats, and I'm not saying they aren't good with children, however they aren't safe around young infants.

And my son gets dirty too... But not to the point that snot is dried all over his face, or his neck is full of "crud"...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 12:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Cats are dirty stinky nasty animals, and have no business being around young children, if they get kitty leukemia, that can be passed on, and their hair also causes allergens which children cannot tolerate (reason why kids are sick). My friend is pregnant and not a very good housekeeper, she recently moved and i did everything tohelp clean up her act but im still worried for her kid. even with a litter box cats piss all over and spray or whatever, especially when their territory is threatened, and kids tend to bother animals alot, and that makes cats very nervous, which explains the smell. call CPS, call Clean House, call the board of health and save those poor children from their lazy mother
    Anonymous