How do I instill a love for reading in my 7 year old daughter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• do you have books in your house? do you read?

I'd make a reading spot - and every day sit down for a time to read with her. either you read her a story, or she reads you a story. or even you read yours and she reads hers.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:12 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• get her Bible story books
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• has she read junie b jones...so funny! My dd likes the treehouse series too. We cuddle up together and i read a page and she reads a page. We laugh together and it is really good bonding time. some books bring up topics that starta conversation that we wouldnt have had otherwise.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Let her see YOU reading for fun.
    Help her pick fun books to read on her own. It doesn't matter how many pictures and how few words - as long as she likes it, it's a perfect book for her.
    Bring back bedtime stories. Pick a book a little above her reading level and read a chapter a night to her. Try old favorites like "The Secret Garden", "The Little Princess", "Charlotte's Web".

And I love ria7's idea of "I'll read a page, you read a page" reading time.  What an awesome way to spend time together!

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree with kaycee14, let her see that you're having fun with it. We have an evening weeknight ritual during the school year where my 12 and 7 year old dds have to be ready for bed by 8:30 and then we all climb in to my bed and each read our own book. If my girls have any questions on how to pronounce a word or what a word means, I'm right there. Plus it helps them to relax as well as meet their school reading requirements. They enjoy being close to me and having that quality time.
    lesliemartin

Answer by lesliemartin at 1:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My daughter at that age love the American Girl book, most libraries have them. They are all about girls and they are learning about history too. There are also a set called HopscotchHill also by the american girl company but are easier to read.

Disney Fairies also has a set of books out about the different fairies.

I suggest taking her to the library and talk to someone in the children's department. They should be able to give you tons of suggestions. Plus they should have a summer reading program so there is prizes for reading.

LadybugsMonkeys

Answer by LadybugsMonkeys at 2:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Read to her daily
    read the same book if she likes it over and over again have her help you read it read out loud together or back and forth
    play the character dress up
    write a story with her
    and let her read it
    write he notes in her lunch box make them happy and fun
    put notes around the house
    write hints for her to find a surprise
    every week have a surprise for her either a dress up tea party with a story book, follow the trail of short notes or hints to a cold glass of lemonade maybe with a book for you to read to her as she and you drink your lemonade(yours can b spiked)
    If you have a pet read to the pet or make up a funny story and pretend it is a book.
    if she likes to draw have her paint pictures of you reading books or pictures of things in the books
    find different size books tiny tall shaped ones make it FUN.
    read craft books (a craft she likes ) and do the craft
    simple cook books eat the product
    hanginginther

Answer by hanginginther at 4:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Set out a time each week to go to the library. Let her pick out books that interest her. Have family reading time every night for 1/2 hour before bed.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009