Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take her to the doctor?

She doesn't have any insurance right now, we are waiting for Tricare to pick us up. She woke up from a nap yesterday at 7pm with a fever of 103.1 I gave her motrin and she decided she wanted to lay down. About 45 minutes later she got back up and was just playin around a little. I checked her temp again at about 8:45 and it had gone down to 101.4. She went to bed around 9:30. I woke her up at midnight to give her more medicine before I went to bed. When she woke up this morning her temp was at 102.4 and I gave her another dose. Other than her fever there doesn't seem to be any other symptoms. Should I just go ahead and take her and pay out of pocket? or wait another day? She is 18 months old.

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • If the fever has not gone down and stayed down on the 3rd day I would take her to the doc! That's at least what our pedi recommends and what we were told in nursing school. You also have to watch out with giving motrin as this medicine masks other symptoms and you could oversee an underlying illness. If the fever is still high tomorrow or she is getting worse defenitly take her to her pedi and have her checked out, just to be on the safe side since she is only 18 month old.
    stpalmsgirl

    Answer by stpalmsgirl at 11:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • if she is having a high fever take her to a free clinic
    2mothershelpers

    Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • she should definitly be taken to the doc. mabey the ER. i know by me there is a hospital that will take children with a high temp asap and not even question insurance. my daughter had a high fever like that once and like you i gave her some tylenol to bring it down i also rub her down with a cool wash cloth. i decidedto bring her to the doc the same night. even though the temp went down to like 100. and then 99, the doc said she developed and ear infection. so it's always good to take the child just inc case. There's something that is going on in her that she may need o get medicated for.
    lanababy1x

    Answer by lanababy1x at 11:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • I would take her to your normal pedi. In alot of cases if your insurance has not kicked in yet, they can either back date it or the pedi can hold the bill untill the insurance is up. Just take her in and after you see the pedi explain the cercumstances to the billing staff and they will know what to do.
    Love2BMommy77

    Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • get health choices from your dept. of human services - it is free to low income
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009