My four year old sucks her middle and ring fingers..any suggestions for getting her to stop.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try putting hot sauce on their fingers?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• hot sauce will not work at that age they know how to get it off...LOL theyre determined

My babyy sister used to do that and she only stopped when she went to school, kindergarten, but she would do it again when she wasnt physically there. She basically didnt reallly want to stop until kindergarten and first grade because she was embarrassed...But my mom just let her grow out of it...
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Huh - those are exactly the same two fingers my sister sucked. Sounds like that's her comfort, but do try to get her to stop by or before kindergarten. My sister didn't stop until she was well into elementary school and her adult teeth grew in very crooked and she's had dental problems ever since then, whereas most of our family have mostly straight teeth with very few dental problems - so it's fair to say the long term sucking didn't help her teeth. I don't know how to help your daughter stop, but maybe try to find her something else to do when she starts to suck - chew gum maybe. Try to find what's triggering the need and see if you can stop it there. Good luck.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Does she do it all the time or just to fall asleep?

I would tell her she can do that in her room by herself. Hopefully, she would rather hang out with the family then suck her fingers. It is sort of like a child with a pacifier once they hit 12 months many parents restrict its use to carseats and bed.
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 5:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• They have this stuff in the nail polish section of a store called "no bite" and you put a drop on the fingernails and every time they go to put it in their mouth it tastes aweful that might work.  I tried using it to get my husband to stop biting his nails but he just kept washing it off sneaky bugger!

MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 6:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Why does she need to stop? Is it hurting her?
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 9:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009