Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there any way?

Is there any way I can file divorce without paying for an attorney. my husband is very verbally and at times physically abusive and has a drinking problem on top of it. I don't have the money for a lawyer and what money i do have husband will not let me have access to. So how can I file for divorce and get him out of this house I simply cannot take another day of living with this man

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (15)
  • watch FIREPROOF with him

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • You are the probably going to have to leave the house and the relationship. If you wait long enough after you leave him he will pay for the divorce..That's what I did..My EX met another women about a year after we broke up he wanted to marry. She payed for the divorce.

    Answer by louise2 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • nope he told me last week that he would never give me the divorce and would make it to where I could not pay for it because he doesn't want me to be happy with anyone else. He told me he would fight a divorce tooth to nail. my friend told me I could file for divorce without a lawyer but she wasn't sure how and I don't know what to do to get it

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • There are do it yourself divorce packets that you can buy. Check your local book store.

    Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • would the library have do it yourself divorce packets? or at least books to look at

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • I am sorry you have to go through this. This man is very controlling and is emotionally abusive.
    Here are some sites I found for you. No matter what you will need some money, maybe you can borrow some from the bank or family. Good luck.

    Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • If he is going to fight you tooth and nail like he said..
    Made divorce papers will be a waste.
    My fiance started his that way and she hired a divorce attorney and everything
    got very confusing..

    If you have children I highly recommend that you do in fact hire an attorney...
    You can try to have him pay for your attorney fees, but that is not never know..

    Sounds like you do not trust this man, sounds like you need someone with
    experience to represent you..

    Answer by Dannee at 11:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • well I might can get enough money to file with the court house after I have drawn up the paper work but I know I cannot find anyone to borrow the money from to get an attorney and honestly I have so much dirt on him I think even if he tried to fight me court costs and all I could and would win I have several police reports, pictures, ect. I'm not saying I don't need an attorney I'm just saying there is gonna be no way I can pay for one I looked into free legal aide but hubby makes to much for me to qualify they turned me down even when I told them that hubby had put the money into an account that I cannot touch and that I personally have no access to any money I just feel like I'm trapped in a scary situation

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • That money that you are talking also your money also..

    Answer by Dannee at 12:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • its my money too I know that but I have no way to get it and no access to it at all I tried getting it out already

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.