What is your opinion on the amount of video games allowed to be played?

My fiance allows his son to play as much video games as he wants. This can mean up to 12 hours or more a day. I live with the both of them and we totally diagree about this subject. I already see how it is negatively affecting our son. However, since he is not mine biologically, my fiance tells me it's not my problem.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it should be directly related to the things you expect out of him...i.e. Chores. I'd say make a list of things he is expected to do in a week or a day and when those things are completed, he earns the privilege of time on the gaming systems....amount of time is your choice. (i.e. One chore equals 30 minutes or 15 minutes, etc.) This will help teach him about priorities in life in general, help you keep your house clean and keep him off the video games 24/7
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my brother plays all day! i think its just a boy thing most boys do , but i think maybe 3 hrs at the most . try to get something fun for outside so u all can go out instead of playing games all day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My son is not allowed to play video games unless all his chores/homework are done and then he only gets 30 minutes a day if that. My nephew plays video games all day and my sister basically uses it as a babysitter.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My kids don't play video games. Well my oldest has a DS and used to play a lot but it got taken away because she lies and disobeys and steals so...she'll probably never get it back (I didn't buy it for her, my dad did and I warned him not to get it because she didn't deserve it but whatever).
    Before it got taken away I let her play as much as she wanted as long she took breaks and did something physical for a bit in between, especially if it was nice outside. Like if I noticed she had been sitting there playing for over an hour. Then I took it away and she had to run around outside for an hour before she could play again.
    We like video games and stuff here so we all play...sometimes most of the day. Now that the DS is gone they don't play any more.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Anyone who allows their child to play 12 hours of video games DAILY is neglectful and doesn't care for their child. Plain and simple. I don't care if it's raining for 3 days... break out a board game or cards, or coloring books or a movie or charades.. Video games are a nice treat or a reward after doing chores, but it's not a babysitter.

Honestly, I see a much bigger problem. You're going to marry a man, who does not want your input on raising his son who lives with you?? That bothers me more. The fact that he said it's not your problem.. um.. yes it is.. When you get married, you become a family where everyone has input. He clearly has zero respect for you or your opinion. The boy lives in the same house, which means you share in the love AND discipline of that child and the rules of the house. If he doesn't respect your decisions now his son won't either later on.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 3:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• that's a hard one. But the rules in my house are some what flexible but on school nights, it is a max of 1 hour of "screens" per day. Unless they need the computer for school work. They are forced to find something else to do. The TV, computer and v-games become a babysitter. I certainly don't spend my time entertaining them but it does give them time to learn how to occupy themselves.

tassk

Answer by tassk at 9:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Simply put no games M-thrusday
    Friday as long as you do your homework who cares
    Sat-Sunday 1 12/ hours TV or Video Game or Computer

Rember. Hoemwork 1st here New York City it so competive to get into Junior High.that you must learn to balance everthing out..

Plus I know for a fact that other kids bring in there DS and PSP to after school so I know my daughter plays on the slide.

How will I fit in. All this stuff the school gives me if I did not balance everthing out. I mean seriously

Think about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jun. 17, 2009