Question about forgiveness?

My MIL is a very toxic person. She says really hurtful things to me and my kids, then she apologizes and then two days later shes back to saying mean comments. So if I forgive her is it wrong to shield myself and my kids from her. Such as not speaking with her very often or having visits with her unless my husband is there or I have a friend there? The Bible says to guard our hearts against people who act the way she does. So am I wrong to want to guard my heart against her? She does not walk in Christs love. She is very bitter and is always bringing up the past. I don't want to be around her and neither do my kids. I teach my children about forgiveness. So is it ok to forgive but to also guard your heart against people that just want to cause you distress or harm? thank you. (any Bible verses would be helpful too).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• just have your husband deal with her and yes stay away. Protect your kids from the noise she makes ect., Get her in her boundaries and stand up for yourself. FORGIVE but do not be a doormat!
    For the kids sake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• IT IS OK TO FORGIVE AND IT IS ALSO OK TO GUARD YOURSELF, YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING.

Answer by older at 11:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. Have you ever confronted her about how you feel?
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Continue to forgive.... continue to love, I encourage you not to speak negetive words about her but start speaking words of life and speak blessings over her. When we speak negative things it keeps them alive. Sure your MIL inlaw may display these things but look through the eyes of the Lord and ask Him to show you what HE sees. He doesn't see what your natural eyes sees.

Yes it is ok to guard your heart but not ok to reject the person.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I do believe it is, but the question is how do we do it...
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Are you talking about MY mother, cuz it sounds like it. I forgive my mother everytime she hurts me, i just know its her fault and not mine, and i keep telling myself i am happy with my life, no thanks to her, but she is my mother and i still love her. my son and i lived with her most of his life and now he's in therapy because of it, so i let him visit still just not very often. he was a difficult baby and i think its because of all the negativity and yelling that came from my mother. my new baby is awesome and worry free. I am convinced its because of her that my son has trouble. I'm not going to deny him his grandmother tho, because that would be more damaging cuz he still is close to her. keep ur head up
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I am going through the same thing with my SD. I realized that I need to forgive him no matter what. Sounds like to me she just needs love. Jesus says to forgive. It is not our place to judge, and I don't think we should abbandon these people. They need Jesus and it is up to us to help them find them. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• Him
    Anonymous

• I know its hard to forgive someone that is bening mean to your kids you can forgive her and pray for her. But take some time off from seeing her and let her know that she has hurt you and the kids and maybe she will change her mind. I pray everything works out for you and your family..
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• how does your dh feel abt his mother? and what is upset abt.. sometimes when people continue to bring up the past.. they dont feel heard.. not saying her being mean is right..i just knw that frm my own life i have a hard time moving forward bc i felt misunderstood... and pray for her pray for her pray for her..
    Anonymous