How can I help my two girls, almost 7 & 8, to prepare for our new baby boy?

I have a feeling my littliest who is still six will be acting up and very insecure about our newest addition in the fall. I am trying to find free fun things to do and spend lots of time with them one on one, but I know some families have bought things for thier older children like their own baby dolls? Any suggestions would be helpful. I know I show them lots of love and attention, but I know my time spent with a newborn might be crushing to them.

jdottie

Asked by jdottie at 11:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They are about the same age my twins were when my youngest was born. My older girls thought of our youngest as a living breathing Baby doll and I had absolutely NO problems with them, they knew we loved them and were quite happy to welcome a new sister. Usually younger ones (1-3) have the problem with a new baby. Good Luck !
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:57 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my son is a little bit of a challenge, but he actually really wanted a younger sibling, and he's really good with her and he's 7 yrs apart, i just made sure i told him that the baby needs a little extra attention and he has to be a big boy and help me with the baby sometimes. kids love to help especially girls, let them help give baby a bath and dont deny them holding him, or feeding him sometimes. they should be fine
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I never did anything except involve the kids in all the baby stuff. My older kids were 5, 4 and 3 when I was pregnant with my last baby. From the day I found out I was pregnant they were involved. We talked about the baby and what it would be like to bring it home and what it would need and how they would help, etc. We discussed names with them and whenever we did anything as a family we would ask what the baby would think of it or talk about how in a few month we would have 1 more at whatever we were doing.
    They were all super excited when the baby came and jumped right in to help...from feeding to changing they helped with everything, by choice. I did the same thing with my oldest when each of her siblings was born and she was only a baby for the first 2.
    We also found some stuffed animals at the thrift store that they bought for the new baby. I never got them anything.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I think it was harder on me than the kids, trying to juggle both of them (only two years apart). Your kids could definately be helpers. I would talk to them as much as possible, let them know you will need their help and then when they do help, give them lots of praise. I like the baby or stuffed animal for them to hold or play with when your hands are full. See the Siblings -Big Brother, Big Sister and Welcoming a A new baby books and products here  http://www.cjkidz.com/babyresourcepage.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 5:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Contact the person at the hospital who handles classes for parents-to-be (my sister has the title of Maternal/Child Educator); find out when the next sibling class is being offered. I would also try to register them for a newborn care class.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2009