If you support Civil Rights, why are you a Democrat?

Obama's administration is shutting down the challenge to DOMA. There is a full text of the motion here:
http://www.americablog.com/2009/06/obama-justice-department-defends-doma.html
In it, it says that it's cheaper (for the government) to not let gays have equal rights to benefits, that gays do not deserve the same consideration minorities receive, and it even throws in the incest and pedophile card.

I'm torn on this - on the face, it's a constitutionally sound argument that it is a state issue and not the fed's place. Then again, if it's not the fed's place, why have DOMA to begin with?

So all those people crowing about how being a Dem means they support Civil Rights, what do you do next?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Likewise, Section 3 of DOMA merely clarifies that federal policy is to make certain benefits available only to those persons united in heterosexual marriage, as opposed to any other possible relationship defined by law, family, or affection. As a result, gay and lesbian individuals who unite in matrimony are denied no federal benefits to which they were entitled prior to their marriage; they remain eligible for every benefit they enjoyed beforehand. DOMA simply provides, in effect, that as a result of their same-sex marriage they will not become eligible for the set of benefits that Congress has reserved exclusively to those who are related by the bonds of heterosexual marriage. ............"

Tell me this is a joke. So, it's not saying that gay marriage is bad. But if gay marriage IS legal, those couples won't get the same rights? Bull bull bull.

I want to vote Libertarian next time around. :\
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 12:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• This is why our government is so corrupt. They dont care about peoples "rights", our safety or our health... whatever makes the most bang for their buck, theyll do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Oh, honey, you are on a roll today. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Technically under the current Federal Law, the DOJ has to uphold the current law. It is up to Congress to repeal DOMA.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• They have to uphold it, they do not have to file a brief to defend it when it is challenged in court. If you go to the link I posted, they have a statement from one of Clinton's aids that they didn't have to do anything, and filing was a choice.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• In accordance to the 10th amendment it is a state issue not federal. Same as abortion.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

Which would make DOMA unconstitutional, if it were challenged and got past the DoJ to an actual hearing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• True, Not Panicking.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I am now officially pissed.

It isn't a federal issue, it's a state issue. What the hell is he thinking?

He's been annoying me with several things lately (jumping headlong into the healthcare issue while implying that it may not work, and possibly cutting the medicaid and medicare budget to fund it, not getting rid of the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy, etc'). But this? Has he lost his darn mind? Are are his ears just getting so big, that they have no curved and are growing into his brain?

Gotta love lying politicians. All I can say is that, while I voted for him, I am darn glad that I was never blind enough to think that he was being completely honest. Try finding a politician who is. But there are going to be a LOT of people who just blindly listened to him who are going to be freaking out now, and find ways to defend this bonehead move.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 12:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• That makes me wonder, though.. Now what's going to happen to the Matthew Shepard Act? :\
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 12:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2009