My baby is such a restless sleeper, it scares me.

My one month old will thrash around, move his head side to side, grunt, sometimes make choking sounds, and wave his hands and legs all while sleeping. Sometimes it will last as long as 30 seconds and then he'll calm himself, and be back to peaceful sleeping. This goes on and keeps me and my husband awake for hours. Is this a phase, is something wrong?

hipmom8523

Asked by hipmom8523 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he is dreaming?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• he's having an intense dream I think...LOL
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My 3 week old makes noises when she's falling asleep and sleeping. It scares me too and it keeps me up! I think it's totally normal for them to make these noises and thrash around... One thing that's helped me be a little less stressed about it was buying a sleep positioner for her. It keeps her head slightly elevated and keeps her from being able to move around too much. It's got 2 little "bumpers" on each side that basically hold her into place... you might give it a try!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Do you swaddle? Babies up to about 4mos. usually really like being swaddled because it makes them feel safe and cozy like when they were in the womb. It could also be that he has gas. Newborns have under-develolped digestive systems and they get pretty gassy, which can affect their sleep. The baby gas drops usually help.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2009