Anyone know of a good breast feeding book?

sd1107

Asked by sd1107 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The best thing you can do is find a good lactation consultant once you have the baby. There is absolutely NOTHING like having someone right there with you. Often the hospital will have them on staff. If not, then a local maternity store might be able to direct you.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree, find a consultant.

If you want to read funny stories about the trials and tribulation of breastfeeding, try "Spilt Milk".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Are you looking for a how to? I really like the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Dr. Jack Newmann has a great book, but I forget the name. I think the best way to get breastfeeding off to a good start is to go to a La Leche League meeting while pregnant. Lactation consultants can be good, but they aren't free, and many of them have never breastfed their own babies. I wouldn't want a labor coach who had never given birth. Reading books and watching breastfeeding are great, but there's no substitute for hands on experience.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You could check out the books The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding or So That's What They're For, and www.kellymom.com has excellent breastfeeding info. Also see a Lactation consultant while you are in the hospital and consider joining a breastfeeding support group when your baby is born.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• La Leche League was my thoughts too. If I remember correctly they had a recomended reading page on their website...I think at least. Definitely ask lots of questions to whoever you know that has breastfed, and anyone willing to help you in the hospital. My daughters pedi gave me a book when I iunterviewed him and it was pretty good, more on the medical side than the natural side, but it was by the american academy of pediatrics, not sure the name of it though. Good Luck
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• "So That's What They're For" is a great basic book.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009