is this "normal"

I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue. My 10mth old son just started having trouble sleeping without me. He all of a sudden stopped wanting to take naps in his crib. And now will wake up in the middle of the night several times. He used to sleep through the night and sleep in his crib 2-3 times a day. Should a 10mth old be sleeping better? or is this "normal"
By the way he isn't teething from what i can tell.

MomCakes

Asked by MomCakes at 11:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he working on learning to crawl, pull up to standing, or walking? Any major developmental leap (even mental ones like talking) will disrupt sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• none of my kids slept through the night until they were about 4yo. GL
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• actually he did just take his first steps the other day and has been trying to walk everyday. Why would that disrupt sleep? I've actually never heard that before
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 12:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It could be separation anxiety as well. Usually it peaks around 9-18mos. and it sometimes you can't even leave the room w/ out baby crying. They don't yet realize that you will be back if you are out of their sight.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It has always disrupted my kids sleep too...not sure why, it just seems tobe the trend in my house.

On the other hand all my kids went through this about 10 months also (even without the milestones) and I was always told it was a form of seperation anxiety. And by now he has figured if he gets up wou will put him in with you. It's a hard habit to break, but worth it if you want to put up the time. If you dont mind though it is also a good chance to cuddle a bit more before he is independant and doesnt want in bed with you anymore. We have done it both ways and both have their up's and down's.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yes developmental milstones can change their sleep patterns. He will readjust in his own time. I would give it a few weeks before I would be concerned....but then again he will probably be doing something else by then :) lol
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You have to think of every possiblity, not just teething, do you rock him to sleep or allow him to fall asleep on his own(which is recommended) If you rock him to sleep try just placing him in his crib at nap times and bed times and allowing him to fall asleep on his own, this may help. If it doesnt help it could just be because he is growing and he has growing pains...My daughter who is almost 10 mths old now, went thru this phase where she had to fall asleep in our bed but once she had been sleeping for awhile she was ok, if allowing him to fall sleep on his own without u being rocked or cuddled doesnt work, i would call your doctor and ask him or her.
    ashley2308

Answer by ashley2308 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• well it seems during the day and night are totally different.
    During the day if i try puttin him in his crib to sleep he will just scream bloody murder the whole time. And i end up having to take him out. Which probably isn't helping but i can't leave him in there screaming for more than 20min. doesn't seem right.
    At night i put him to bed while he's awake.
    most nights he goes to bed with just a little bit of screaming. Then will wake up at like midnight or 2 am screaming.

And he doesn't show any other things that would show he's having seperation anxiety. only when its time to sleep.
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 1:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It is pretty common. My daughter slept through the night, in her own bed, at 4 weeks. She did so for the next 6 months. Then, all of a sudden, she started getting up 2 or 3 times a night, and wouldn't go back to sleep without me standing by her crib or rocking her or in some way comforting her. She is now 4.5 years old and still gets up at night half the time and gets in bed with Mom and Dad. I've heard of this a lot. They go through phases.
    volomom

Answer by volomom at 10:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2009