Should the U.S require it's public school children to learn Chinese? Why or Why not?

There can be no middle ground. No compromise. Yes or No and why.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think there is nothing wrong with learning new langauges, America has so many different people from other countries now it is helpful to have some choices in learning other langauges.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Require? No. Offer it? Yes.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• No I absolutely do NOT think public schools should require children to learn Chinese. Why Chinese? If anything they should be required to learn Spanish since that has become a second language in America...although I don't agree with that either. I don't think anyone should be required to learn a second language. Schools should offer the option of teaching several different languages and encourage children to take a foreign lanuage but not require them. English is our first language in America and no one should HAVE to learn another language...although it helps in careers etc. later in life.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yes. But i don't think it has to be Chinese. I agree with anon, it wouldn't be so bad to learn another language. I speak 3 languages and i would like my children to learn other languages as well.
    tish0607

Answer by tish0607 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Chinese? Heck no.. if anything it should be Spanish.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Require it? No. Offer it? yes. Along with many other languages.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I think that language courses should be offered as an elective, but not required. In my high school, you HAD to take at least two years of Spanish to graduate. And we lived closer to the French-speaking areas of Canada than any Spanish-speaking regions of the US.

The way I feel, this is America. This country was founded by English-speaking men, women, and children. It should stay that way. I think that people coming to the US should be required to know English, we shouldn't have to learn their languages so they feel more comfortable. This is OUR country!

I totally welcome immigrants, legally. But the Irish had to learn English in order to survive. So did the Italians. If we were to move to another country, it would be wise to learn that language so we could live and understand the culture. NOT the other way around!
    Bubbles318

Answer by Bubbles318 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• IF THE US HAD A MAJORITY OF CHINESE SPEAKING IMMIGRANTS I WOULD SAY YES, IT IS TO EVERYONES ADVANTAGE TO LEARN AN EXTRA LANGUAGE.

Answer by older at 12:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Well, considering that MANY foreign countries make it a point to teach their children English (Western or British), in order to give them an advantage in the global marketplace, why can't ENGLISH remain the accepted global standard?

OP, are you implying that China is going to be the new superpower, and everyone will have to learn the Chinese language in order to "keep up?!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Require it???? Thats just crazy!!!
    JULIAN01

Answer by JULIAN01 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2009