what would you want to know if a pap came back HPV positive?

I just found out a pap came back positive for HPV. Im pregnant, so I was really upset. My doc was on vacation, so I talked with his nurse. Turns out paps have several levels, from atypical to severe, and severe doesn't mean cancer. Since mine is atypical, I feel a bit better, but I have an appt to talk with my doc next week. Other than what do I need to do, risk to my baby, and what does my hubby need to do, I'm at a loss at what to ask. Thank you for any advice or experiance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Health

• who gave it to me....where it came from, id be pissed,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I dont know much about HPV so I would ask if it is contracte thru a partner?
    What risk does it put me and my baby at if I get pregnant and during Labor?
    Just ask anything y9ou dont know or would liek to know
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I had an atypical pap as well that went all the way to a cervical biopsy and freezing of my cervix. It is treatable. I would ask if it's transferable to the baby (either in utero or during birth), if my husband can give it back to me once it's treated, if it will affect how competent my cervix is (meaning will it weaken my cervical muscles and possibly cause a miscarriage?) and how safe treatment is during pregnancy. I understand that you're scared, but believe me that 99% of the time this ends up with a normal biopsy and "false alarm" everything is ok. Don't stress too much about this, I understand you're worried about the baby but we all know stress is bad mmm-kay? Good luck hun
    justbrandi111

Answer by justbrandi111 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I think HPV is common in the general population (like cold sores ), but most people don't show symptoms and never know they have it. I have never heard of complications with pregnancy and delivery....but I'm sure your doc is the best person to have explain everything to you.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:57 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Almost every woman who has ever had sex can get HPV. It could have been years since you had sex with an infected partner when it shows up. Here's some information of the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/common-infection/Bro-br.pdf

But just because you had an abnormal pap, it doesn' t mean that you have HPV. I had an abnormal pap when I was pregnant with DD, after she was born, it was normal again. I was told that you can have an abnormal pap for a lot of reasons, especially while pregnant, and it doesn't necessarily mean anything.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• People make ignorant assumptions about HPV. 1st, YES it is classified as an std. However, there are other ways to get it. I got it WAY before I was sexually active. (so not through sex) Just because someone has HPV, does not mean they have genital warts. Ive never had one. Also, Alot of women have it and dont even know. Something like 1 in 4 women. Also, men do not USUALLY have any symptoms of it. And reguardless of what some people think, men can not be tested for it. Men just carry it. For instanse, (i think its kinda funny) If my DH ever decided to cheat on me, the wh**e would almost without a doubt contract it!
    Anonymous

• I have hpv and i had my son in oct 2008. 70 percent of women have hpv. your baby will be fine.
    I think the main concern i have is getting my annual paps now b/c hpv can cause cervical cancer. well the hpv i have is more known to cause cancer. some of them are not as bad.
    yea i do not have genital warts either. I have only been with 2 men in my life and well it was one of those 2 that gave it to me.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009