How do I keep my 22 month old in his bed to go to sleep at night?

About 6 weeks ago, my 22 month old son decided that he was not going to sleep in his crib and started getting very upset whenever he was placed in his crib. One day during one of his crib fits, he crawled out and landed on his arm, breaking his wrist. I immediately went and got him a toddler bed, but now he just keeps getting out and coming into our room. I have tried putting him back in the bed over and over and over! If anyone has any suggestions, I would sure like to hear them!
Thanks!!!!!!!

gizmo13

Asked by gizmo13 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my little boy used to not like sleeping in his bed. i put him in his bed when he got up and layed him down and said dont get up its bed time, so do that every time he gets up and dont give in.
    Anonymous

• First step, close his door or gate it so he can't get out. (This is a safety issue if nothing else.) Then, give him some time to settle on his own. If he gets out, let him. You may find he'll get back in on his own and go to sleep. If he screams (as our son did), we would sit in his room with him as long as he stayed in his bed. We just sat there an interacted as little as possible. If he got out of bed, we left the room. We give him time to either settle or scream then go back in if needed. Eventually he lost interest and went to sleep. We did this for a few weeks and one night we put him into bed, let the room and that was that! The key is to be very boring while in the room with him. We said nothing other than remind him that if he got out of bed, we were leaving. Our son also climbed out at 22 months and was a little young to understand the whole concept.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009