how can I stop our dog from peeing upstairs?

We have a one year old blue heeler/collie mix. He has a bad habit of going up to the third floor room and peeing on the carpet. We have tried to keep the door shut, but the kids will still run up there and then leave the door open. I asked the vet how to stop him from doing this. We have cleaned the carpet, but it seems like in the past month he is obsessed with going up there and relieving himself. Does anyone know why he does this? WE can't afford to keep cleaning the carpet(renting a steam cleaner) nor can we replace the carpet either at this point. Not to mention the fact kids can't play up there now.

My SO now wants him to be an outside dog, which I think is cruel. Especially living in the desert. I don't want to get rid of him either. Which i'm sure will be his next request. So if you know of why or how to get him to stop I would appreciate it. he goes out w/the kids or sits by the door if he needs to go.

Thanks.

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 12:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Definitely cleaning the carpet VERY well to remove any trace of urine will be the start of stopping this behavior. But one of the fundamentals that I have found with dog owners is that they forget that dogs have small bladders. While a male dog will hold just a bit of urine just for marking purposes, you can help your dog not have a full bladder to use by first, giving him water intermittently during the day instead of keeping a bowl on the floor. As soon as you offer him the water, take him out to piddle, teaching him to go on command. This training will take a few days but is worth it.

I would also watch him as he goes, bc he should be taken out 1st thing in the morning and should have a full bladder. Command him to "piddle" or "pee" which ever you choose and use that one word. If he doesn't go enough, command him to go again and he should empty. Doing this during the day, even if you have to set an alarm....
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Are you using a cleaner that specifically gets rid of pet odor? If not, then it might not be doing any good to clean it, as the smell that he is attracted to is still there. I used to have this same problem with a dog who randomly would pee only in one spot in my hallway. It was a spot we rarely were in so it was hard to catch her. We finally got some friends to help and we "staked out" the spot over the course of a day. Every time she went to use that spot we squirted her with a toy water gun (she hated water!) and took her immediately outside. But training only will work if the smell is completely gone, and it will only go away with specific cleaners. Nature's Miracle works really well. Just bc you or I can't smell it doesn't mean she can't still! Hope this helps and good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• that spot has probably been marked by another animal in the past and he is trying to make it his own.the only way to make him stop is to get rid of the spot by taking up the carpet and replacing the subfloor with the marked area or don't let him upstairs at all. get a swinging baby gate and put on the stairs.
    we have to keep our cat locked in a bedroom because we just got new carpet and she got the blame for 30 years of animals that were allowed to us the corners as a restroom. my landlord wants her gone so this was our compromise.
    I hope you can come to an agreement with your so, like he's a part time outdoor dog or he can't leave the first floor.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 12:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• ...to remind yourself and until the family is in the habit. As the dog ages, he should be able to hold his urine for many hours unless he has a bladder problem.

Don't forget too, that when the kids play rough with the dog & he runs thru the house, this also makes him unable to hold his urine. He is likely to run upstairs and pee to hide it. So make it a rule that when the family plays with the dog making him run in the house, that they must take the dog out for a bathroom break.

Good things to do: I would leash the dog when I take him out, simply b/c this shows him you are in control and the leader of the pack. This way you can command him to go instead of letting him run willy nilly, b/c he will intentionally hold a bit of urine if he runs free. This is the nature of a dog.

Next, I would kennel him at nite. This teaches the dog to hold his urine. Then 1st thing in the A.M. take him out. :) Hope this helps.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thanks so much everyone!

I'm just so frazzled at this point, and I DON'T want to have to get rid of him or put him outside all night.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009