What could this be?

My soon to be 4 year old has been coughing only at night for the past 2 weeks. He went about 3 nights without doing it. It doesn't matter where we are he starts these coughing spells. I have to give him cough syrup some nights. He doesn't do it any other time. Our doctor has been on a trip to Egypt but will be back this week. He doesn't have a runny nose or anything like that. What could this be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Possibly he is developing an allergy to something? I have asthma that is triggered by allergies and this time of the year is awful for me! I think I was tested around that age for it as well, so it might be that. Benedryl should work for that though if it is. Cough syrup is less effective for allergies, bc it doesn't really treat the cause of the coughing. I would def. take him to the doctor when he gets back. Hope he gets to feeling better!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Hi, In general drugs only treat the symptoms and mask the problem. He needs his chest listened to by a physician.
    nimills

Answer by nimills at 12:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My daughter did this when she was young, dry hacking cough during the night. It was worse at certain times of the year. The doctor said it was Nocturnal Asthma and had her use an inhaler at night which helped tremendously.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Before giving you little boy any kind of medication is there any other doctor there that can see him for the mean time ,I mean until your doctor gets back from his trip. unless he's running a temperature then maybe you could give him some children advil or children motrin (I heard from many doctors to try to keep the children away from tylenol)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Sounds like asthma. I'd take him to the doctor. There must be another doctor on call when yours is away.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2009