my 15 year old step daughter constantly steals my clothes then lies about it. I'm a size 2, shes a size 9 so they look awful on her. Nothing seems to deter her. Suggestions anyone?

I'm a size 2, shes a size 9 and weighs 179 lbs. She thinks that it makes her look sexy which is totally inappropriate. I have been her stepmom for 2.5 years and its gone on from the beginning. I've had to put a lock on my bedroom door and cannot leave the washer or dryer unattended or she will go through them. She lives with us but everytime shes grounded she goes to her moms until grounding is over. How can I get through to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh gees. How in the world can she even squeeze into something 7 sizes too small for her?! Oh dear God! Umm what about telling her that everytime you find something of yours missing she has to pay you for it? (Since apparently she's probably stretching the crap out of it....but I wouldn't say that.) Tell her that you pay for those clothes and if she wants to "steal" them than she can pay you back for them? I dunno if that'll work or not but its the only idea I have. And I would just try and keep your room locked at all times, or maybe even start taking HER clothes and hiding them?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It almost sounds like a power struggle. I agree with the pp, if she wants to where size 2, and have a muffon top, then she should pay for her own clothes. Does she babysit? Or get allowance money? Take her to wear you buy your clothes, and show how much they cost and tell you want to wear it, you buy it. Maybe try and not make a big deal out of it when she gets busted. Just say, um yeah, that was my shirt that cost me 30 bucks, pay up. Then leave it at that.
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Her perception is that she looks good in your clothes, and this has become her reality. You need to change her reality to the truth. Take photos of her in your clothing, front and back, so she can see what she really looks like in them.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Tell her that if she continues to steal your clothes, you will take everything she has away from her. She needs to learn to respect others property. If you see her in your clothes, make her change immediately.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Have you asked her why she takes your clothes? Is she uncomfortable with her own clothing? Does she want to be more like you? Parents often assume the worst, but the reason may be very simple. Growing up is hard, 15 is hard, talk with her and help her find her own style.
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 10:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009