Do you think this is appropriate?

Yesterday someone posted that because her 12 year old son had bad body oder she had him shave his genitals and watched him shower to make sure he was bathing properly. I understand that this is a well-intentioned mother, but do you think this is appropriate?

Also, if the father of a 12 year old girl watched her shower and made her shave her gentials to get rid of body oder would you feel the same?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• thats wrong! i didnt see the post but 12 year olds need there privacy!
    Anonymous

• Yes that's strange. I would have just told him that he still smells and is going to keep showering until he washes himself thoroughly.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Oh man, that poor kid. Imagine the mommy issues he will have later in life.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I didn't see that posting either but i think it's very wrong. My son is 6'2 and he's almost 13, he sweats alot so I understand the body odor but watching your child shave and shower, it's humiliating to the child I don't care how close you are to him/her, it's not right. I agree with anon 12:16 a 12 year old needs privacy.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• that is wrong!! just have a talk w/ your kids , explain to them THIS is how you PROPERLY bathe yourself! ... dont watch! i didnt see that post - thank god! and YES i would feel the same if it was a father/daughter ... infact my daughters father asked the other day what age should he stop batheing her ... i said after a while (w/ my son) i would just sit on the sink and wait for him (i had to make sure he ACTUALLY washed ... bc he would play w/ the rag instead lol)
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 12:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• 12 is a bit old to be doing that. By that time they should be able to bathe comletely on their own and not need any help. She could however keep sending him back to the bathroom if he still smelled, but I would not supervise it!
    As far as having a girl watched by the father, I had a friend whose father used to "help" her bathe from the age of 9 till she was 14, and the mother finally figured out what was going on and left with her. Not saying this is the same as that, but it could be easily misconstrued as such, and with the same consequences.
    Anonymous

• Oh wow! No i didn't see that post but the is HORRIBLY inappropriate! How demeaning to that poor boy. I can understand her telling him to take a shower and maybe explaining to him HOW to cleanse himself the right way, but never in a million years would I think it was okay to WATCH a 12 year old boy take a shower and force him to shave his genitals and watch that as well. And it is sooo try! If a dad did this to his 12 year old daughter he would probably be in jail or something! So why is okay for a mom to do that to her son? Its the same thing!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• its inaproperate to watch a 12 yr of the oppisit sex take a shower and to make him shave his gentile...uggg...that not the cause of oder not showering or wearing deroderant it...poor kid...
    Anonymous

• I think thats wrong. First of all you dont tell a 12 year old to shave that area. If he smells then its because he dosnt shower or use deoderant. I would talk to my son about how he needs to clean himself up but i wouldnt make him shave and stand there watching him as he showers thats grose. But i would send him back in there if he was smelly after he got out. Thats what my mom did with me when i was younger and i didnt like to wash my hair.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thats highly inappropriate, and i imagine was pretty friggin humiliating for the son.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009