Other than "your baby can read" is there any other way we can teach babies these things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't remember who, but one lady on here told me to use "The Letter Factory" learning DVD by LeapFrog. I haven't tried it yet, but that's the only thing I know of.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Little Einstiens are wonderful tools. Play time with baqby, don't try to push the baby How old is she/he . they learn by imitatating and visual. We all want geniuses for kids but playtime is the best teacher. Make a book with pictures of things around the house then write the names down and let the child associate with that. Pbs channels have a at great show called Word World that is wonderful for 3-4 year olds. it is 1/2 hour show aqnd my grandson has learned the letters and can spell from this show. again association is the key. check for fisher price leapfrog items geared towards this it is fun and entertaining. Of course they learn from interacting with you. If they watch Word world watch it with them ask them the letters remember age appropiate!!! learn by play!!
    gmarose

Answer by gmarose at 12:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Read, read, read, read to your child.

Leapfrog has some great tools to teach children letters and letter sounds. They need to know letter sounds so they can learn to sound words out.

Pointing out words, their letters and the sounds the letters make is a good option when you are out and about.

Simple books that have a few pictures per page with the labels of those items under them are good options too.

You can do flashcards as well.
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• "The Letter Factory" by Leap Frog is a great DVD. It teaches the letter names (both upper and lower case) and it teaches the basic sounds the letters make. There are more in the series once a child has mastered those.

Also try www.LetterOfTheWeek.com. She has an infant and toddler section as well as the preschool section.

Try Word World and Super Why on PBS. The show on Nick and Noggin are cute but barely educational.

And keep it fun. No flashcards. No workbooks. Those are not age appropriate. Make up silly games instead.

This is not a contest. Kids learn these things at vastly different rates - and it has nothing to do with intelligence, just interest and desire. The more you push, the less desire your child will have. By Kindergarten, the differences even out and you can't tell which child learned by 3 and which learned at 5. So don't push.

Fun, Fun, Fun - that's the key.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• ASL/baby sign. google it. there is tons of info about teaching ASL to your baby. and how studies suggest that it leads to early reading and writing skills as well as lots of other benefits.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i think songs are a great way to learn. my son is 8 months now so he is babbling. but there are words he picks up from the songs. its really funny. i read books to him. toys are good.
    I agree, you want your child to have fun also.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I used the Leap Frog series, the Electric Company, and educational shows. My son started reading Bob books at four and can read on a first grade level at five.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• There is no reason for babies to know how to read (even though "your baby can read" doesn't really teach reading, just memorization)

They learn through play and you labeling everything. They learn by you reading to them and helping them explore their world.

ASL is a good way to help them learn to communicate, but steer clear of "Baby Signs". It's a made up system and the "creator" doesn't believe babies can learn ASL. (then how to deaf babies or babies of deaf parents learn ASL if they "can't") Besides...some of the signs in her "system" mean something you really don't want your youngster saying in public (her sign for "brown" means "bitch" in ASL for example)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Just work with them and make it fun. My 3 year old is sounding out words all the time and now learning how to blend those sounds to make the word. I just went with "his flow" and taught what he wanted to learn when he wanted to learn it.

Just remember...building blocks with the ABC's aren't just blocks...that's a blue A, a green F, etc.

That's not a stop sign, it's a red octagon that reads "stop". Describe and label.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My daughter has worn out The Letter Factory, and now we are on The Word Factory. I really like the LeapFrog movies (haven't tried anything else by them). When she was an infant, she was really into the Baby Einstein videos as well. I definitely agree with the posters who encourage reading and keeping it fun.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 2:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2009