what age should a child be able to write their name?

My daughter is 5 just turned 5 and she starts school in september. Well the school that she goes to which is really the only one i can take her to wants her to already know how to write her name. She can write alot of letters but is no where close to writing words. So is she behind or is it just something she is going to need more time to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She is not behind if she can't write her name yet. However, you do have several months to work with her so make a point to do it daily. Just a few minutes a day will make a difference. One thing you definitely should not do is have her to copy it over and over again. Start by showing her how to write her name and see if she'd like to do it too. Then put shaving cream or pudding on a table or cookie sheet and have her write in it. Use yarn to spell it out, cut the letters out of sandpaper and have her trace the letters with her fingers. When she does artwork have her write her name on the back. Make deliberate attempts at writing her name as often as possible. She should learn in no time! And she'll probably become interested in writing other words.
    MrsBrintae

Answer by MrsBrintae at 5:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• it is usually a requirement for kindergarten and sometimes preschool.you have to teach her to write her name, you have all summer to do, just be patient and it will come to her, if she can write letters, she can make words
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• not sure. my sons day care (he started @ 6 weeks until 3) was also a pre-school. and since he didnt nap they let him sit w/ the class and learn as well. so he learned to spell his WHOLE NAME (which is 27 letters - 1st , midle (2) , and last) at 3 ... I couldnt believe they taught him all those letters , i was shocked, i wasnt going to teach his whole name til he was about to start pre-school.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 12:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My daughter started writing her name when she was about 4 or a little before, but at her preschool they really work with the kids. I know there are many kids that start earlier than 4, in fact I thought my daughter was behind. Does she go to preschool? I would just spend time with her every day practicing. One way they started in DD's school is to write her name in dots and let her do a connect the dots thing, over and over and over, then practice without the dots. Maybe start one letter at time. I think the summer is plenty of time for her to learn, just keep at it. Good luck!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• just needs time to work on. some kids catch on faster. my sisters little boy is 4 and he writes his name but hes been ahead of some kids. but she didnt even have to teach him to use the potty! he did it on his own. so just keep teaching her to write the letters in her name or something. :)
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• see i have 2 friends here who sons start at the same time and they dont even write at all. I have started printing off star fall with her and she does 3 new letters a day. She has never been to school and all but i have been teaching her things since she turned 3 i also have a 3 year old so i try to teach them both at the same time.
    Anonymous

• They do usually like them to be able to write their first name by the time they are starting K. My middle son recently turned 5 and he will be starting K in the fall too. He just learned how to write his name a couple of weeks ago. His Daddy gave him a marker and a notebook and they just practiced and practiced and within about a half hour he got it! Another good way is to have them practice writing the letters of their name in sand (or salt or sugar) and with sidewalk chalk outside. Just keep trying and she will get it!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My son is 4 1/2 and has just now showed an interest in writing his name. Luckily, we have more time because he just be going to Pre-k this year because of his late birthday. What works best for my son is I found a website that has traceable letters. I printed off the letters for his name, taped them to a piece of paper, and made about 100 copies. When he wants to "write" his name he can go get the sheet and trace his name. Slowly, he is becoming confident enough to were he doesn't need the traceable letters anymore. The key though is consistency. Work a few minutes with her each day and by the end of the summer is will know how to write her name.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Teach her a silly song using the letters of her name. Like BINGO only with her name. This will teach her the letters in her name and the order they are in.

Make sure she knows how to write those letters.

Then put it all together - ask her to write each letter, one at a time. Don't hesitate to use silly things to write with - pudding, shaving cream, sidewalk chalk, finger paints, etc.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Work with her over the summer and she'll be ready. Here they have to be able to write their first and last name in kindergarten.

My oldest was 4 and had both me and his teachers working with him.
    My second was 2 1/2 and I didn't know he could SPELL his name let alone write it!!! Shocked isn't the word! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2009