18 month old poop question

My daughter is 18 months and poops very regularly. My question is, what should the consistancy of the poop be? My mom seems to think that she should be pooping harder turds more often rather that sometimes turds and sometimes explosions. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The firmness of their poop has a lot to do with what they are eating or drinking. If my daughter has been drinking more milk than juice for awhile, her poop is firmer. More juice, and it's loose. If they eat more fiber (whole grains, veggies, fruits, corn, etc...) then it may be more loose and that is totally normal. More dairy, refined carbs, and meat will make it firmer. If she does not seem to be in pain, is not pooping too much during the day to become dehydrated, and seems fine otherwise...then I'd guess it's normal. If you want to test the theory, give her some of the "firm" foods and limit her juice intake for a few days. If it's still overly runny, you can see your doctor. HOWEVER, most people don't even know what a healthy poop looks like. We should be passing large, soft, volumous poops rather than hard ones. Our poor diets make us think firm is the norm...so your daughter could just be very healthy.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Ah, the topic we moms discuss!! I agree that it's very diet related. As long as dehydration isn't an issue due to frequent, very watery poops (or, conversely, very hard ones she has trouble passing), it probably is just fine.
    Anonymous