I know toddlers are finicky eaters...but good grief

My daughter wants to eat nothing but yogurt, bananas, chicken, cereal and plain bread. Once in a blue moon, she'll eat spaghetti. I've tried "eat this or don't eat", mixing foods together to "trick" her, etc...She used to love her veggies, and now she spits them out and any food that does not suit her taste is thrown directly into the floor as soon as I turn my back. I end up giving in and giving her what she'll eat just so she won't go to bed hungry! Are vitamin supplements (flinestones) pretty much my only option in making sure she gets all her vitamins? I know being picky and going through this phase is normal, but I don't want her being malnourished in the meantime.

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I turned to vitamins for my son before! He only wanted yogurt,chicken tenders,salads w/ cucumbers,and corn PERIOD! every night! So i got those. When i told the dr. what i did , he said it was no problem , whatever i felt i needed to do
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 12:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• it's all phases umm my suggestion is perhaps give her the stuff one at atime in small portions so like brockoli first then add some cheese/ chicken then some bread, then blueberrys, get her the divided plates those help umm otherwise i would also recommend getting her a more natural supplement, go to henry's marketplace .com or something do research or wholefoods are everywhere. good luck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I know exactly what it's like. At least she's eating healthy stuff when she's eating! My son has his picky moments and we do give him a vitamin. Our doctor recommends them anyway. My rule is that is he throws the food (which he often does exactly as your daughter does, the moment I'm not paying attention), the meal is over. If he really hasn't eaten, I give him 10 or 15 minutes then restart the meal with the same foods. Just keep reminding yourself, todders won't starve! Our pediatrician also recommended just giving a handful of Cheerios (or equivalent) as the option if I really want to make sure he has something in his stomach. Try not to give in as they just adds to the problem. Toddlers tend to love praise so when you can get her to eat even a bite ofs omething new, make a big deal out of it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yes, give her a vitamin. Be sure to read the package, most say to give kids this age a 1/2 tablet. Buy a tablet cutter if needed.

And don't force or bribe her to eat something. In case you haven't noticed in other areas, if you try to force a toddler to do something, she will dig in her heels and refuse. And if you bribe her (eat your peas and you can have a cookie) all you teach her is that peas are SOOOOO bad that she has to be bribed to eat them.

Simply offer her the food. Let her know that throwing it on the floor is not acceptable. If she doesn't want to eat it, she is to leave it alone. And make sure she sees you eating that same food. Don't say anything (oh, what yummy peas!) and don't comment if she eats them too (see, aren't they good?).

Have set meal and snack times. No one (even you) is to eat if it's not time to eat. This helps cut down on the bad snack foods and makes sure she is hungry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i have this same problem with my daughter and our pediatrician prescribed a vitamin. But I am trying to find creative ways to get her to eat the food. As always set good examples, she sees you eat it and enjoy it. Also my daughter is fascinated with bugs (eww) so i tell her the greenbeans are really flies and put them on the fork and make a buzzing sound while i have it fly into her mouth. She thinks the whole thing is funny and she forgets that shes eating. It usually works, but only for a little while. Think of creative ways to make eating the veggies more fun.
    lostinadaydreem

Answer by lostinadaydreem at 11:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009