Did anyone else have issues/inadequacies with having an emergency cesarean?

Just wish I could have delivered vaginally. Baby's heart rate was staying low for 10 minutes or longer after pushing. Wouldn't come back up like normal. Emergency cesarean. I'm thankful he's here and we're both fine. Just 7 1/2 months later and still bothering me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• w/ my 1st , i tried vaginal for sooo long, than his heart rate was very low, and didnt come back up as well. i kept getting very light headed , and my heart rate dropped as well. w/ my 2nd, they said it was up to me if i wanted to try again , i said that was the worst few hours of my life that day! i chose another c-sec because i didnt want to chance losing either of us.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 12:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I had a c section after 14 hours because I couldn't get to 10 cms and the baby was so low for so long that she was pushing on my bladder and there was blood in my catheter...turns out she was also a lot bigger than we thought (8lbs7oz - i am just 5ft tall and weighed 130 at the end of my preg). I was TERRIFIED when they told me I needed a c section. I had it 3 weeks ago and am still slowly healing. I've hated feeling so helpless in the first few weeks of my daughters life. but she's perfect so I'm not dwelling on the delivery anymore...just focusing on her.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I did feel that way after my first, for a long time. It was just something I had to come to terms with. Everyone has babies differently and that's how mine had to be born. After I learned I would never deliver a child vaginally I just had to accept it. I know it's hard, but it is normal to feel that way.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I had to have an emergency c-section because my baby was having late decels (her heart rate would drop with my contractions) and they weren't coming back up as fast as we would have liked. Yesterday I had my 2 week appointment and she took off all of the steri strips and now its painful. Up until yesterday I was fine. I think when she ripped them off she irritated the stitches underneath, but I don't know. Right now it just hurts.
    allialexa

Answer by allialexa at 1:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Oh, yes I did. When I think about it now, a bunch of bad stuff happened (water broke 6 weeks early, preeclampsia, baby's heart rate bad) but it certainly made me feel inadequate. So did my failure to successfully breastfeed my preemie. But she's 2 now, and bad stuff happened a long time ago. It's over now. My confidence in my parenting skills makes the childbirth problems seem unimportant.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I've not had a c-section but as a piece of general advice, I would offer this: Take a few moments to yourself & hold a little ceremony to let go of this. Write down your thoughts--hurt, disappointment whatever--and then burn the paper. Basically, you are seeking closure for this experience. After that, try not to dwell on it but when you do think about it, remember that you let those thoughts go & concentrate on your amazing child. I'm not sure if it will help but I know when I have had crushing experiences, I can't get past them until I pause to acknowledge the feelings & then let them go. Best of luck.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My 3rd was an emergency C-cection and after 2 natural births, aside from the emerency part I was thankful not to go through labor again. I don't know what your dr told you but your babys heart rate was probably going down because th ecord was being pinched off which could have killed her if it got to a point where they couldn't get her out by c-cection. My dr broke my water and found the cord coming out first so I had to be rushed into surgery. Had i not been at the hospital and he broken my water my dd would have died before anyone knew anything was wrong. Just be thankful you have a beautiful healthy baby
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Absolutely NOT!! My DD is a happy healthy 10 month old...who cares as long as she's happy and healthy. I can't understand why some people feel inadequate or like "less of a woman" if you don't deliver vaginally. Isn't the only thong that matters that when you look at your beautiful daughter that she is here and healthy? Everything else is irrelevant. Don't miss out on happiness because you're hung up on how she got here. The only thing that matters is that shesHERE!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I always wanted a natural child birth, but 8 weeks and 2 days before my due date I had severe Pre-E. When the doctor came in and said they didn't like how the baby was tolerating the treatment for my Pre-E and they would be taking her via C-Sec in the next 1/2 hour, I didn't have a second thought about it. It was best for the baby and my "pride" about having a natural delivery didn't matter anymore, just my baby's life. I have never had any issues with it, it is just what was best for my baby at the time and I now have a healthy happy 7 mos old! I would like to do a VBAC next time, but if I can't no biggy...it is what it is.
    momofalayna

Answer by momofalayna at 4:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thank you. I appreciate the comments. Yeah, I think the cord must have been ahead of him, because every time I pushed, his heart rate would go down, but took way too long to come back up. I know the only thing important is that he is here and healthy and we are both alive. I love him more than I could ever have imagined. Thanks again!
    ECsMom2008

Answer by ECsMom2008 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009