My child is 9 years old -- how do i go about explaining about lying

pinkysheer

Asked by pinkysheer at 12:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• At 9yrs old your child already KNOWS what lying is. Instead of trying to explain about lying i'd be explaining the discipline actions that will take place if he/she lies.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I can't imagine that by age 9 they haven't already been discussions. We started with our kids as  soon as they started telling stories, My daughter uses Mommy Dots because you know that is how Mommy knows that you are lying you get a mommy dot right in the middle of your forhead.

lococlasby

Answer by lococlasby at 2:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Books about honesty, telling the truth are a great way to get her thinking because they are written on a child's level. You can see some books here  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=18   

I would follow it up with a conversation about trust, disappointment and consequences.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 4:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009