Hi, My granddaughter, 41/2 yo won't eat fruit or vegetables!

We have tried everything. Any good ideas out there? Nancy

nimills

Asked by nimills at 12:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You dont give her anything else to eat but fruits and vegetables.
    She isnt going to let herself starve. And you have to NOT give in to all her tantrums and screaming. But if her nutrition is important to you then you're gonna have to do what it takes to prove to her that it's that important.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Give her some V8 fusion - it tastes great and has a full servinf of fruits and veggies or you can make homemade fruit popsicles with a blender and ice tray and popsicle sticks - she will never know the difference. another option is so add a little honey in the popsicle mix - honey is all natural and might make it taste sweeter (I think I read to many books).
    thejewlzrhis

Answer by thejewlzrhis at 12:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• those are great ideas thejewizrhis
    Except that health isnt just about getting them to get the nutrients in their bodies. It's also about teaching healthy eating habits. Juice and popsicles are okay every one in a while, but not as a daily nutrients.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Jerry Seinfelds wife has written a cookbook full of recipes that hide heathy ingredients- mainly fruits and veggies-just for picky kids. I'd sure give it a try!
    rosado1

Answer by rosado1 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Is your granddaughter at all involved in picking out, choosing and prepping meals? That's how I got my son to not only eat, but ENJOY vegetables and fruits. Also, she's old enough to have dreams about growing up into a big girl - and fruits/vegetables are necessary for that to happen. Can you appeal to her desires to grow up to encourage her to eat more. Also, are they offered at every meal and as the only "snack" options available? If not, then make sure you start limiting her snacks to only healthy choices - either raw fruits/vegetables or snacks made WITH fruits/vegetables. Also, have you tried dried fruit or vegetable chips? Again, though, get her involved in the process of choosing the fruits/vegetables to eat to see if that will encourage her to make healthier choices.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Have you tried apple pizzas? Cut apples so they are circle in shape spread on peanutbutter then top them with cocoanut, raisins, dried cherries, etc. I know I'm not a kid, but I love 'em.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 3:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• She won't eat Campbell's veg soup or french fries? Just make sure she takes vitamins. She'll be fine. When my kids were on WIC the nutrionist said a lot of kids won't eat right especially in the summer and to just make sure they take vitamins. She said give them mac & cheese, ice cream (even for breakfast if they wanted it), milkshakes, pizza and whatever else they would eat. My kids are now in their 30's and all healthy.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• For my son, there is no other option and I dont keep junk food in the house unless it is organic. I prepare dinner and serve it. IF he does not eat, well I know he will not starve b/c he will eat.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• First off its not going to kill her to go through this phase. However outstandinglove is right, it IS about healthy eating habits. I would serve veggies throughout the day. Try Bolthouse juices (which are fantastically healthy) mixed with pureed bananas or other fruit and throw in perhaps a cucumber for snacks and and breakfast. (They have a green goodness juice that my girls scarf down and the oldest wont eat ANYTHING ELSE thats green.) Give creative names to your meals, if your child likes Shrek for example the "Swamp soup" is going to go down quicker than healthy brocolli soup. Let her go to the farmers market with you and pick out fresh veggies, let her grow her own things. She will be much more likely to like things if she choose them or helped them to grow. Make breakfast, lunch and snacks healthy fruit and veggie creations and then sneak them in at dinner. Put veggies and fruit in favorites.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i know what you mean!! all except my 4 year old loves fruit, but won't eat veggies or sometimes meat (except sandwich meats)... my 2 year old is even pickier...especially these warmer months...it worries me. however, when they do eat a healthy item, they eat every last bite...

i wouldn't worry too much...unless your pediatrition is concerned...it seems all our bodies know exactly what they want/need...just like when we were pregnant...i'd ask about maybe adding a vitamin to the mix.

the biggest thing i DO push on my kiddos though, is water...especially these months!

...actually, i myself have gotta up my water intake ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2009