Do all of you that have middle school aged kids let them date? And where do you allow them to go? Also, do they each pay their own way?

jojo1957

Asked by jojo1957 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter is in 7th grade and she wanted to start dating in 6 th grade, I told her no and that when she is 14 and is getting good grades in school and I can see that she has a lot of self respect and is hanging out with nice girls, I'll concider it. So far she has been hanging out with nice girls, but her grades could be better. When the time comes and I let her date, she can only do large group dates, but NO movie theaters. She can go miniture golfing, bowling and school events. I told her when she is 16, maybe one on one dates, but again no movie theaters.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Group dating in middle school, and one-on-one is high school. In this day and age, you ever asks pays. Once they have been dating awhile they can split cost,i.e. one can pay for the movies and the other can pay for the dinner. But in order to date, she has to show me that she is responsible, by helping me babysit and maintaining good grades.
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• No way I'll let my kids date in middle school.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Not until at least 16!
    When children start dating too young, they can find themselves in sexual situations that they do not have the maturity to handle.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Id say no, I dont have a middle school kid but I was one a few years ago, Im a senior now. But Id say no, the way the younger kids act today, Idt that it would be safe to let her go out.. Id let her have little boyfriends and talk to them on the phone, maybe them come over for dinner and a movie at your house every now and then, but I deff wouldnt let them go out on their own, or maybe even you or the "date's" mother could take them out to the movies, have them pay =]
    TayMicGab

Answer by TayMicGab at 5:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My daughter hasn't asked me yet about dating.. I know she has a "bf" but they don't really see eachother out of school. If they do see eachother out of school is when all the kids get together from school to go rollerskating. If she were to ask me it would only be ok to in a group setting. Once she is in HS we can talk about the one on one dating. Kids now adays are really different from when we were kids. Things you would never imagine they know they know!!!
    yazmid13

Answer by yazmid13 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• yes, i do allow my daughter to date. she is almost 14 and i have allowed her to date since 5th grade. i don't see any real harm in it. as long as you trust your daughter/son in making right decisions and not taking things too far. yes i would allow them to date. at middle school ages, they begin to develop hormones and feelings towards other sexes and by tying them down, and not letting them express the feelings, you are detering their childhood. my daughter is almost 14 and has had the same boyfriend since 5th grade he is going into 10th grade he is 16 and she is going into 9th grade and she is almost 14.
    mommyofmarya

Answer by mommyofmarya at 3:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• hm group dates. or let them go on a date like at your house.
    tubaluver

Answer by tubaluver at 12:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2009