so how do i get my 18 mo old to stop his milkie botty?

all he wants is his milk bottles he gets obsesive they are twins so he usually is drinking one while holdiing the other, really cute but he's 18 mo somethings gotta change! any ideas?

mirit.rose

Asked by mirit.rose at 12:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just posted this idea in another question forum, but here it is again. I just did this with my 20 month old, and it worked like a charm. Buy some sports cups (the ones with soft, nipple-like sippers) and when your babe asks for a bottle, tell him, "You can either have a cup with milk, or a bottle with water". This gives the child the CHOICE to stop using the bottles, which they will because they love the milk. It keeps them from becoming insecure over the "disappearance" of the bottles (which, by this age, have become like a good friend to them) and allows them to feel more in control of their lives by giving them the choice to transition. It worked for my son - he asked for the bottle for about a day before starting to just ask for the cup with milk. Now he doesn't even seem to remember bottles, only three days later.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 6:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Take the bottles away.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yeah, what I did, is I just threw them all away...they were of course replaced with sippy cups, but it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it was going to be. Out of sight out of mind.
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 12:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I just weaned my son from nursing, and I think you can use the same concept. Try cutting back initially at certain times of the day..."Big kids drink milk from a cup during the day." Then a week later work on the evening or pre nap bottles which are the toughest.
    babyjakesmama

Answer by babyjakesmama at 12:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Stop giving them to him. He should only be having about 20oz a day anyway.

Give him his drinks in his sippy. He'll drink when he's thirsty. He will fuss and carry on for a bit...but you're the mom.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009