Any advice on weaning a breastfed baby?

My baby just turned one on sunday and I am ready to start weaning him but he is VERY attached to breastfeeding and that is all he has ever had (milk wise) he never would take a bottle at all or anything. I don't want this to be a traumatic thing for him and it to go as smoothly as possible so any tips or advice would be greatly useful and appreciated!! Thanks!

littleguys_rule

Asked by littleguys_rule at 12:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when i tried weaning my daughter at that age it just made her want to nurse more so i let her nurse and at 14 months she just gave it up cold turkey ( i have never given her milk or formula) and she has done great. she loves her water and diluted juice.. she gets all her other nutrients from fruits and veggies it just depends on what you want their life style to be dont stress about it cause they stress when u stress good luck
    newsmom101

Answer by newsmom101 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• then don't. Let him self wean. It's really ok to nurse as long as he wants. if you are confortable with it keep going! my son is 26 months and only nurses a few times a day and at night. ckeck out www.kellymom.com. The longer you nurse him the better it is for YOU, lower rick of cancers, burns fats (bonus!!) and plently more reasons that I can't think of right now ( baby is crying!) good luck! gtg
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You could wait and let him self wean or just start him on a sippy cup. Replace one feeding a day with the cup and just gradually go from there as he gets used to it. Keep in mind you may have to buy alot of sippy cups as it will depend on which one he likes best. My advice is slow and easy, go at his pace. Thats what I did and it worked out great.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Love2BMommy is right--do this at his pace. Skip the bottle (my DD self weaned at age 1 & never used a bottle). Go right to a sippy cup or a regular cup. Start by replacing one meal a day with a cup of milk & regular food. Make it one of the feedings that doesn't have as much of an emotional attachment--like the one around lunch time, not the first one in the morning or the last one at night. When I weaned my DS, the before bed feeding was the last to go b/c that was our special time together. Get into a new routine for a few weeks & then drop another feeding, gradually weaning him off the breast. This process can take as long as you want it to take. As you cut down on feedings, your supply will drop so baby will naturally be wanting more table foods so make sure you offer him enough table foods to keep him full. Make this a slow, calm pleasant process & you will both be happier in the long run.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Also if BM is all he's ever had regular milk won't be enough. U would have to give him formula if u stopped. He would need balanced meals three times a day. I would pump and give him a sippy and start introducing solids...he needs the nutrition before you wean him.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2009