Do you let your child pick what they want to drink or do you give them what you want them to have?

For either eating at home or going out to eat, do you let them choose or do you? The reason I ask is because my friend and her son and me and my son (both 4 year olds) went out to eat the other day together. She choose his drink for him, but she thought it was odd that I let my son choose his own drink. My son will ask for water 90% of the time. The other times he asks for milk or apple juice. So, when he does choose a sugary drink, I don't think much about it because it happens maybe once every 2-3 months. I guess maybe it would be different if he asked for soda evey time. So, I was wondering if you let them choose, if you give the choices to choose from, or if you just get them what you want them to have. Also, what are your children's ages?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• At home they drink water. We don't keep anything else in the house normally. They only drink milk in their cereal (otherwise we would be going through a couple gallons a day...they love milk). We rarely have juice or other drinks in the house but when we do they are allowed 1 cup/juice box of that a day.

When we are out to eat they usually get a choice of whatever is on the menu. When they were toddlers it was restricted to water, juice or milk and as they got older we added sprite and root beer. Now when we are out to eat it depends on their behavior because they tend to fill up on non-water drinks and refuse to eat their food but otherwise they get to choose. 9 times out of 10 they choose plain milk or orange juice since it's such a treat for them. Rarely they choose soda (last time my son picked sprite and my girls got raspberry lemonade). And they have been choosing since they could talk.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my teenager dd whar ever she want to drink, the little one 7-4 and 14 months juice or milk no soda.
    Anonymous

• I would let my son choose as long as it wasnt soda, my son is only 14months so he cant choose but when he gets older.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i let my daughter choose.she is 3 , she usually chooses milk ,every once in a while she will choose sweet tea
    Anonymous

• I let my son choose what he eats and drinks, but he can only choose between what I offer him. I'll ask him if he wants milk, juice, or water. That way he gets to decide and it will still be healthy for him.
    Rachael420

Answer by Rachael420 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i would let him pick what he wanted as long as he got something other then just water. my little boy is 2 so i still pick his bc he cant really pick. but i dont see anything wrong with the parent picking.
    Anonymous

• I think it's nice to allow a child to pick. Just offer them two or three choices, and let them exercise some control by picking which is most appealing to them. That way you know he's getting something healthy, and he is happy.
    Anonymous

• She's 2, so sometimes I choose her drink [like water before bed time instead of juice] but most of the time I let her choose if she wants milk, juice, or water.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It really depends on what she has had so far in the day. I usually let her choose because she is pretty good about accepting no if I'm not ok with her choice (I will give her some ok options if that happens). Sometimes I just tell her this is what she's having and she can drink it or not, but that can lead into tantrums that some days I just can't handle. I figure it is easier and better to let her choose from the get go than to be incosistent.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 2:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my daughter's two so it depends. if she's had a reasonable amount of milk and juice I'll let her pick between milk, juice and water. If we're out, I pick for her since a lot of the drinks just aren't approriate for her age. If she's had all milk and no water, then I'll make her drink water or watered down juice.
    Anonymous