Is a breast pump or hand nipple stimulation more effective when using to induce labor? What are other effective labor induction methods?

Due to my blood pressure my doctor gave us the go ahead to try natural labor induction methods and suggested nipple stimulation. He told me to do it for 5 minutes on 1 breast and then wait and hour and do it to the other breast, alternating until I start contracting. He said I could use my hand or a breast pump.

Is one more effective than the other?

Also are there other effective labor induction methods we can try. I've been drinking raspberry leaf tea to tone my uterus, eating "Scalini's eggplant parmesan", I'm currently eating pineapple core, drinking basil and oregano tenture, doing deep squats and we have been having sex, although admittingly only 1 time a day.

We are really trying to avoid medical induction but my blood pressure is beginning to complicate things. I'm 2 cm dilated, "very soft and stretchy" (says my doc) and he said he could feel the baby's head when he checked me yesterday so things are ready.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• just have sex..lots and lots of sex and I also took blue cohosh, you can get them at a vitamin store or health food store, ask someone who works there to help you find it. tell them your trying to induce labor and they SHOULD know exactly what your talking about....I took this and went into labor within 36 hours
    maryandmacy

Answer by maryandmacy at 1:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• HAVE SEX>>>Clean your house, get ur bag ready, cook a few dinners for the next couple days for ur husband for when u get home and ur in too much pain to care. it worked for me and it was great, all my work was done, and when i came home i had a real easy time to just enjoy the baby...good luck...also when u have ur baby remain calm and tellurself it will be easy and ur doctor cares about u, the baby will come out like butter. with my first one i was scared and young and had a difficult delivery, my second was a breeze cuz i had a positive attitude...good luck
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The hot tub the night before is what helped me go into labor i believe. I didnt put my belly in, just from the waist down. And dont do it for more than 5 minutes. Keep yourself relaxed, as you probably know certain types of stress keep labor away. Squatting helped me as well.

I think that a pump might work best. I use one right now and it causes braxton hicks to start up (im 7 months pregnant with #2). It has the two phase stimulation to mimick a baby's suckling and i have no idea how to do that with my hands so when the times comes, i'll use it.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 2:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Acupressure worked like a charm when I went overdue.
    You can download the book here: http://www.naturallyinducelabor.com/guide
    cfavreau

Answer by cfavreau at 3:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009