My daughter wants a puppy... HELP!!

My daughter is 3 and says she will take care of it and everything.. Is that enough? I also work part time!

michelle.devin4

Asked by michelle.devin4 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pets

• well she is too young to litterally take care of the puppy. but mom come on now. this is every childs dream to have a cute little puppy. sometimes kids want to feel a little responsible with a cute little thing running around calling it yours. even if you worked full time girlfriend you can still have a puppy my brother just got a lab for his daughter and works full time, you just have to train the dog rite. when you arent home you have to put it in a cage/kennel for it to stay. maybe put a small thing of water not much so it wont go to bthrm in the cage and go to walmart and get puppy training pads. and put it in the cage for a week or so, and train the dog outside is the only place to use bthrm. and only let it eat when you get home, it will be fine. just get a very small dog . maltese, daschuand is what i have, very small dog that isnt too energetic. let her have one, and if you decide its best to wait.. then tell her
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 1:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• No...not for a 3 year old. Get her a fish or something much smaller and less maintenance. Pets are for life and if you get her a puppy you should be willing to raise it and train it. You can't expect a 3 year old to do those things.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• lol. she's three. do you really think a 3 year old is responsible enough to take care of a puppy? I don't. I think making a three year old feed their pet fish every day would be challenging enough. If you want a puppy too. Then go ahead and get a family friendly dog. Like a lab, golden retriever, husky, or a yorkie, Bichon Frise, shih tzu. But make sure you want it and will be ready to potty train a puppy, and feed it, water it, walk it. Good luck.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Don't do it....she is just 3 not 13.
    She will take care of it for awhile and then she will be back to acting like a 3
    year old..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• well, she is only 3 so it would be alot for her, a fish is too easily killed though, that would really upset her. i think maybe if you can figure out a schedule, you could, but maybe not necissarily a puppy, they are alot to handle for anyone. maybe discuss it with your S/O and her, even if you got her a nice, non biting, hampster or even a kitten. i have a 21 month old and she loves my kittens, shes good with them, knows when its feeding time and she even tries to help change the litter box. i think what you should do is find a oet she can handle, dont underestimate her, she might be little but toddlers are capable of alot of things that we dont even realize! good luck, and i hope it all works out for you :)
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• A pet, esp. a dog, can be high maintenance (although I have 2 shih tzu's which are easy enough to care for) BUT, they are still like having extra children in the house. So with that being said, I would ask myself, "Do I need more children (or THINGS) to care for right now?"

Even sahm's are busy and find themself with a pet they can't control too well, or don't have time to train. Dogs will chew, pee, poo, bark (esp. pup's at nite in the beg.), need shots, need monthly meds for fleas, ticks, etc. Do you have extra time in the mornings before work and time in the afternoon as soon as you walk in the door and then time in the evening to walk, feed and poo, along with extra time to devote to training? Ask yourself if you have the extra money each month to put towards a live animal. Many people do, many do not.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas to sort it out. :) Only you know the answer. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Remember that dogs AREN'T fun when you are getting ready for work and you have to stop and let them eat, then stop and let them go potty, AND its raining outside!! LOL You just got your heels muddy and the dog wouldn't piddle while its thundering, and your baby girl is crying at the door b/c she can't find her shoes, and then you can't find the car keys b/c you are in a hurry, that d**n dog!! LOL
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009