My 3 month old son will not take a bottle...and I'm back to work next week!

I've tried two types of bottles.....I feel so bad. Breaks my heart that he's not eating well at daycare. I have a great daycare lady (she's a friend)....any suggestions?

keleighsue

Asked by keleighsue at 1:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If a family member can take the child for a day, it would help. My son at 6 months refused anything but the breast but I was leaving for my honeymoon. My parents said the first time they tried, he took the bottle. Try to leave and have someone else give the baby the bottle a few times.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I used to babysit a little boy who was breastfed. I gave him two to four feedings a day & his mom came home from work for the rest. For the first few weeks, I would give him expressed breastmilk via a small tube. It was connected to the bottle & I would hold the tube on my index finger so the baby was sucking on my finger & getting milk through the tube. After a few weeks of doing this, he got used to having breastmilk without having his mom there & we switched him to a bottle. Are you expressing milk or giving him formula? If you aren't pumping, you might want to give that a try (if possible) as he might take breastmilk better than formula. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• If you are giving the bottle, that can be the problem. Let someone ELSE do it while you're gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• That happened to us and I was so worried cause I had to go back to work, but the first day I was gone, she reluctantly took the bottle. She never would when I was in the house, and she did hold out for a while that first day, but now she takes it all the time during the day and I bf at night. He will do it, it' s just a matter of him realizing he has no choice. Your daycare lady may have to fight him a little but he'll take it, my DD is REALLY STUBBORN and she took it, so I'm yours will.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my baby breast feed until she was 14 months old (10 onths after i went back to work) she would take a bottle or boob before i went to work but when i left her for work she refused the bottle after a few days she started up again it was just a shock to her but like the other moms said its way easier for some one else to give the baby a bottle while ur not there Cause they can smell u when u r around and it does make a difference if ur nursing and trying to give formula. Good Luck
    newsmom101

Answer by newsmom101 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2009