Would you let your young child (under 13) fly alone?

I would not. I know they say they watch them, but check out this story:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526602,00.html

Airline sends Girl, 10, on Flight to Wrong Airport

Imagine what could have happened to her. I think that if my children NEED to fly somewhere I can take the time to get them there.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• if you asked me this l2 weeks ago I would have said yes. buy last week while flying home from Boston with my 11 yr old son we encountered a lot of turbulence. My son was so scared. he held on to me and i try really hard to reassured him. Played with his hair, gave him kisses, etc. I can't imagine him going through that alone at such a tender age.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i dont fly, and i have no relatives out of state so i guess technically no. she wouldnt fly alone. even if there was out of state relatives. i wouldnt let her go alone.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• no way! could you live with yourself if the plane crashed?
    finish

Answer by finish at 1:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I flew alone all the time when I was little....and I always had someone with the airline escorting me to my next gate. They are all so helpful and I would feel very confident sending my child alone at the right age
    maryandmacy

Answer by maryandmacy at 1:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My aunt & uncle were killed in a commercial plane crash. They knew for the last 30 minutes of the flight that the plane was going down & they were going to die. I would never put my child in that position. I know it is a very remote chance of that happening but still. To me, there are just too many things that could go wrong--a scared or upset child, a cranky child, one who is hungry but too shy to ask for anything, not to mention all the problems with air travel such as sitting on a runway for hours. If my kids need to fly somewhere, they will go with a parent for now. I won't judge anyone who sends their kids alone (in fact, I have flown next to unaccompanied minors) but I won't send my kids alone.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My son flew alone once but it was back in the day when you could go all the way to the plane and watch them get on. He was 10 or 11 and flew from Houston to New Orleans so it was a short trip. We watched him get on the plane with the stewardess and his grandparents were there to see him get off the plane. The trip home was the same . I'd feel wary if they had to change planes or layover. Probably wouldn't do it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yes, I would. It is kind of hard to get to Europe any other way.
    Anonymous

• We flew my SS to see my sister in Vegas. The flight had no stops, straight to Vegas from Tucson, AZ. And my sister met him at the gate. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel about sending a child further than that, or on flights where they have a layover.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yes, I would. I started flying alone to see my dad for the summers when I was 6. There was one time that they stuck me on the plane and then the flight attendant came over and asked where I was supposed to be going and I said Harrisburg and then she quickly got me off that plane and onto the right one. I would have ended up in Providence, RI, which would have sucked, but it wouldn't have been the end of the world. They would have had to put me on another plane to the right place and I would have gotten there, eventually.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I did all the time when I was younger. The flight attendants always took really good care of me and they stay with you pretty much the entire time. Of course this was back when people could pick up the people they were picking up at the gate. I always thought it was fun.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009