Too old for tucking in...

My sd is 11 and when she's here dh and I still give her hugs and kisses and turn off the light for her when she's in bed. I am starting to feel like maybe she's getting too old for this and should be putting herself to bed (never too old for hugs and kisses in my book though so those won't stop as long as she wants them!)....what age did you have your kids putting themselves to bed without you?

mommabear2008

Asked by mommabear2008 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• HECK I REALLY DON'T REMEMBER HOW OLD THEY WERE, BUT I THINK YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD FOR HUGS AND KISSES!!!

Answer by older at 2:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• She will tell you when she thinks that she is too old. My almost 14 year old still sometimes asks for snuggles when she has had a tough day.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I don't remember how old my now 18-year-old DD was but my SD is 8 and she has been doing it since she was about 6 1/2 or so. We go with her sometimes but most of the time she puts herself to bed.
    LifeGoesOn08

Answer by LifeGoesOn08 at 1:06 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The neighbor girl here is 13 and still gets tucked in. I mean who wouldn't want snuggles. When she gets too old she'll let ya know
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• nothing wrong with saying goodnight and turning off their light. It gives them a sense that you care enough to do it. I'm sure by 12 or 13 she will ask you to stop.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't remember exactly how old they were when I stopped tucking them in. But up into their teenage years I would still give them a kiss goodnight. Up until they left the nest - each night I would poke my head in their rooms and tell all three of them "sweet dreams". She will let you know when she isn't comfortable with it anymore - til then keep doing what your doing!
    Nanna22

Answer by Nanna22 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My 14 y.o DD still wants to be tucked in on occasion. On the flip side, my 4 younger kids all put themselves to bed. They all sleep in a big loft above the living room so they have developed quite a ritual of running up & down the stairs & giving hugs & kisses to DH & me. Let your child be your guide. I can remember being 15 & 16 & still wanting my mom to come sit with me before I went to sleep. Not necessarily tucked in, but just to have those few minutes of just the two of us.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I still tuck mine in but I can still remember the day my dad told me I was too big to be tucked in and for goodnight kisses.I went to my room and cried, I felt like he truly broke my heart.I was 11.I think that as long as the kid wants you to tuck them in, then just do it...it can't hurt anything.In time, they won't want you in there anymore so enjoy the small moments like that for as long as you can.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009