Keeping cats off the patio?

Our new apartment has a small patio with a wall that goes about 4 feet up and has about an inch of a gap at the bottom. My husband just put carpet out there so that the baby (11 months old) and I can have some outside time wihout hauling out the stroller or playard. In the middle of the night, roaches come onto the patio and die. So we're sealing up that bottom gap until it rains. And now i go outside to move some stuff for the baby and theres pee dribbled allover the carpet. Brand new carpet.. And hubby tells me he's been seeing a black cat out there before he goes to work in the morning. So how do we keep them off the patio? We're putting sheets up for privacy but i dont want them scratching them to get in..

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 1:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Try to put lattice up
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm not exactly sure if this would work for you w/ a baby, but my neighbor is the crazy cat lady and our flower beds always smell like cat poo. They come and dig in my mulch and it drives me CRAZY!! Anyway, every couple of weeks I go out and put chili powder over top of my beds and it keeps the cats away for awhile. It doesn't bother my plants, however, my kids don't play in the flower beds either...so it may or may not work for you. Also, you can get a huge bottle of it at Aldi's or Dollar Tree for about a buck...so very little cost and very easy to do.
    tennisgal

Answer by tennisgal at 3:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i uuse garlic to keep the cats off of my patio.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• cayan pepper works well or get land scapping bricks/rocks to block off opening
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2009