where to go from here my 11month old doesnt want to take food from me?

My daughter has just started eating finger foods in the last 6-8weeks. She does fruit well but veggies are still an issue. We have moved past puree's but she wont take mashed up food from me on the spoon. So we went to cereal thickened pureed and know she has decided that isnt going in her mouth anymore. My daughter was underweight to the point the doctor was concerned she is back up to the 20% percentile but im still worried I would only give her finger foods but she wont take them if they arent fruit and I dont know how much she is really eating. What should I do from here??? Any ideas on how to give her a god amount of food and a variety for nutrition?

Mya-Audreysmom

Asked by Mya-Audreysmom at 1:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• let her try to feed herself, she might eat a little better if she thinks she's in control
    Anonymous

• At 11 months old, my daughter was eating everything we were. We just cut them up really small so they were finger foods. It is messy! Usually when they see you eating it, they are more willing to eat it too! Good luck
    jennjune1984

Answer by jennjune1984 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We eat with her but dont give her the same food we eat because we are still in the trying a new food to check for allergy's stage. We put finger foods on her tray and then give her a spoon to try and feed herself from the bowl of mashed or thickened food we feed her inbetween her taking finger foods bites.
    Mya-Audreysmom

Answer by Mya-Audreysmom at 1:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• let her feed herself with a spoon and fork. at that age most are looking to learn to do things for themselves. it will be messy, but you can have an extra fork and when she's trying scoop some into her mouth. all three of mine were done pureed stuff by about 9 months and onto bits and pieces and then chunks. but I ddi also make everything myself...

finger foods - there're so many options for finger stuff.

I'd start feeding her what you're eating, by 11 months most of the food you eat is what they can eat - minus the extra salts and sugars. the major allergy worries shouldn't be much of an issue (unless you have some severe family history of allergies - but then if you did you probably don't have that stuff in your home)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I understand your concern. Smaller children seem to need that extra nutrition. This age is becoming more mature, but not quite old enough to determine their own body's needs so I wouldn't be willing to trust that she'd be able to feed herself enough food. Finger foods will simply knock off the feeling of hunger and we know that young children will not eat unless they are hungry.

I would be sure and not offer snacks between meals at this point, and actually try to re-train her wants by not offering them at all right now. She remembers that she will get the fruit with each meal instead of the good protein and vegetables that she also needs in order for her body to grow well. I would also offer only water to drink all during the day. This will help keep her bladder clear but also her colon clean and hydrate her perfectly.

Until she has a full set of back molars she doesn't have the ability to chew or grind...
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• ...table foods so I would continue to make her pureed food until those teeth come in. I'm aware that many parents begin to feed baby from the table at early ages, but really that can't be smart if the stomach demands that food be processed before it enters. The stomach cannot be held accountable for doing all the work, so it simply passes the whole bits into the colon. The body then can't absorb the whole pieces from the colon, so it is then passed out of the body, no benefit of the food is then achieved.

Why not try mixing all of her foods together which puts all of her needed protein, veg. and fruits together, including a bit of rice cereal which would create a full complete diet? The fruit makes the pureed meat more palatable. I always mixed beef or chic, peas or carrots, banana, applesauce, and rice cereal, heating it well and serving it warm. Try this & see if she enjoys it well. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Try more table food and finger foods. At 10 months my son didn't want us to feed him anymore. So I put him on table food and meal time has been a piece of cake ever sense. He still only lets me feed him spaghetti o's, applesauce, and jello to him. He's very independant.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• ditto above....try eliminating some of the snacking through the day and make established meal times.

breakfast
    snack
    lunch
    snack
    dinner
    snack
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Try letting her feed herself, my daughter did the same thing at 10mnths we just let her eat all day long everything she wanted from fruit to cookies to help get her weight up then things like canned green beans and canned carrots or roasted etc, she did good when we did that, now she eats like her dad and shes only one.
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 4:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Stick with nutricious, calorie packed foods: avocado; if you have introduced soy, tofu chunks; sweet potatoes.
    Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families; you can find it at your local library; there is some information on the webiste: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 4:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2009