When did you start feeding your child meat in a jar?

the 2nd food jars say crawling stage...but is there a certain age you started giving them meat? and did they like it? I tried turkey the other day and my son did not like it one bit.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest daughter loved it when I started her on it. I gave her the apples and chicken or other meats that had stuff mixed with it. They do smell awful and their poop does too after they eat it (lol) but she never had any probs eating it.

My 6 mo. on the other hand, I've tried it once with her and you'd have thought I was giving her vinegar or something LOL. I tried just plain turkey so I think next time I go to the store I'm going to buy the mixed ones.

I saw a lot of posts saying that they gave their kids real meat, I'm too nervous to try that with my little one yet. She has no teeth and I'm afraid she can't gum stuff down yet besides puffs. That is a good idea though if your child is ready for it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• 6 months, my daughter loved the apples and ham one, it had a sweet taste to it!
    jennjune1984

Answer by jennjune1984 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Never. They totally grossed me out. I waited until they could handle real meats that I cooked myself. Shredded chicken and homemade meatballs were the firsts they got and enjoyed.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Why don't you just cook?
    jars are for daycare, it's so lazy to do them at home.

i bet she'd eat everything you made if you just cooked.
    Anonymous

• Never....I wouldn't eat meat frmo a jar so I didn't expect them to. I'd say mine had real meat around 9 months or so...chopped up into teeny tiny pieces that they could chew with their gums.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Meat in a jar is disgusting. Did you ever taste it? and the texture is revolting. Cook meat and cut it really small or grind it up. So much better,
    lynda5

Answer by lynda5 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• 6 months. my little boy loved the macaroni and he also liked the glazed ham i think thats what its called. he would rather have vegetables n fruits more though.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• u can even feed urs mashed potatoes and soft stuff like that.
    wildcatsgurl06

• well anyways...my son is fine with his veggies and fruits. yea your right the meats do smell icky. I guess it is not necessary to feed them meats b/c the formula is his main nutrition until he's a year old. so i guess everyone who uses jars at home is lazy. lol. whatever i guess you are so perfect anon.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• ummm... never fed ds meat out of a jar, just cut it up on my plate and gave it to him that way... he was probably about 6 months when I did that
    StarsChildren

Answer by StarsChildren at 2:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009