Is it okay to eat a hot dog occasionally while pregnant?

I know you are supposed to avoid deli meats while pregnant, but what about hot dogs? They are cooked so I don't see the problem??

Susan901

Asked by Susan901 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If they are heated to steaming, they are fine!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I heard you shouldn't eat them b/c of some kind of bacteria. I dunno, i didn't eat them or cold cuts while i was preggers. A lot of the older moms at my job had eaten all that stuff back in the day. I guess there are new rules now.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• hot dogs are horrible for you even if you arent pregnant but thats not what you asked lol. If you heat it till steaming it will be less bad. You can do the same with deli meats too.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 2:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I just googled it! On americanpregnancy.org it says to avoid listeria, you should heat deli meats and hot dogs (among other things) to 160 degrees or steaming. They give all kinds of suggestions and tips.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It's great as long as you warm them up (which I would assume you would do anyway).

I craved them for breakfast for a few days. The days I ate one for breakfast were the few days I didn't puke!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• there arent exactly "new" rules. You can eat deli meats, hot dogs, etc. as long as you heat it up first to a certain degree to kill the bacteria.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 2:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• hunny im on my third baby, i eat hot dogs hot and cold, my kids are perfectly healthy and fine so really it just another one of those stupid things to make pregnant woment eat rabbit food in my opinion.
    Anonymous

• I eat circle K hot dogs at least once a month if not more and I'm doing fine. My doc tells me I'm perfectly healthy. There is a lot of things that I think "pregnancy rules" are over protective about,
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 2:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i always wondered this as well...but then again i would say they were bad because they are high in sodium.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• lol I didn't know you weren't suppose to eat hot dogs and deli meat, I did and my kid and me are both fine. I didn't eat hot dogs all the time but I know I did a few times, and I ate turkey sandwiches alot. People worry too much, generations before us use to do lots of things we're told not to do now and we're fine aren't we?
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009