Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I plan him a birthday party?

My daughters birth mom dropped her son off with me to watch him for 3-4 days. Here is is 2 and a half months later and she still hasn't come get him. His birthday is July 5th. he will turn 1!! Should I start planning him a party? it's not like I can call his mom and ask because she doesn't have a phone and she said she was coming get him 3 times already and never showed up! I don't know what to do. What if I plan this party invited people and she comes get him? She did that to me before I adopted my little girl ....a year since she went with her and had nerve to come pick her up during her birthday party. I don't' know what to do it coming up!! HELP!!


Asked by HannahLee87 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Holidays

Level 10 (434 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • If you want this child then you should call the Department of Children and Family Services and apply for temporary custody due to abandonment. Since you have already been through their checks for the adoption of your daughter, there should be no problem getting you designated as an emergency foster home and having a Judge sign a Temporary Custody Order. Especially since she is unreachable. Once you have legal custody of the child, you can start the ball rolling to actually adopt him. Definitely, have the Birthday Party. Once you get the temporary custody, she can't just "pick him up".
    On another note, you need to get legal custody because if he should need medical treatment, you cannot legally authorize it. If something medical should happen, he will end up in the Foster Care system just so that he can be treated medically. It is far better that you become his Foster Mom while you decide if you want to adopt him.

    Answer by Jamjar5174 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • Well, I would look into adopting the little boy. You very well could get immediate temporary guardianship on the grounds of abandonment, while you go through the steps (if this is something you are interested in doing) and if you don't want to officially adopt him, it would at least let you give the little guy a party without fear of her taking him because she would have no legal grounds to do so.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • Check with child welfare. That could be cause for abandonment. Maybe you could get temp custody and hen plan his party.

    Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • You need to get legal custody of this child. The mother abandoned her child. Of course, you should have a birhday party. That child deserves a birthday party, every child deserves a birthday party. But please do what is necessary to gain custody of that child, he needs someone to care for him that isn't going to abandon him.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009