Did anyone watch that show "Twins by Surprise" on Discovery Health Channel last night.

The last story of that woman who did not see a doctor at all during her pregnancy. Then decided it was a good idea to have her baby at home without a mid-wife or anyone at least trained in child birth. So she ends up having twins and both were breach. Thank God those 2 babies were okay, but am I the only one who thinks first off she is an idiot. Second off if those babies had died don't you think she should have been charged with something if not murder at least reckless endangerment? I mean to not have any prenatal care by a doctor, then to have your baby without any medical assistance is beyond stupid. At least have a midwife there. Sure women did it all the time a 100 years ago, but it was dangerous then too they just didn't have any choice. I believe that the best thing is to be where you baby will be the safest, because things can go wrong during a birth VERY quick.

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 2:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree w/ u. There are way too many options & hospitals to chose from these days to not go to one. I have watched a show on Discovery Health about women who do this have their babies unassisted wherever they please. These women say its b/c they do not feel comfortable having other ppl taking control of their birthing experience a couple have also had a bad experience w/ their other children before. The dr told me if I had not had my DD in a hosp she would not have made it. She came out not breathing! I also tranfered hosps three times during preg! We moved when I was 6 mo so I switched but hated the one I was going to, they were horrible so I switched over to the Mercy hosp in town & it was a million times better! There is always a solution if u r uncomfortable & no excuse to not find one in my opinion!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm going to have an UC so I disagree with you.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Actually her babies were better off being born like that at home..the mother knew what to do (letting the babies come on their own without pushing or other help) and the babies were never in danger.
    Breech births are not nearly as dangerous as the doctors have women believe, in most countries on this planet breech birth is seen as a variation of normal and not a reason for automatic c-section at all.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I had a UC 2 months ago so I am going to disagree with you as well. I agree with Cynthje
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 4:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I totally agree, that was the most reckless and unthoughftul thing i have ever heard
    MummyMiller

Answer by MummyMiller at 8:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Cynthje hit the nail on the head.
    jeremysmom04

Answer by jeremysmom04 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Sorry, Cynthje is right
    Minasmom1

Answer by Minasmom1 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The fact that she had her twins at home is actually a GOOD thing. Breech birth is only a variation of normal, the unfortunate thing is that very few doctors know how to do it anymore. It's a dieing practice. Had she gone to the hospital she would have had a c-section thus putting herself and the babies in more risk that was necessary. Many women fore-go prenatal care because they can do it themselves. A woman can check her own BP, her own urine, her own weight, her own blood sugar, and the baby's heart rate all on her own. Unassisted childbirth and unassisted pregnancy are only dangerous when the mother doesn't know what she is doing. But to say that having a child without medical assistance is stupid, is well an ignorant statement. This country has awful fetal death rates, in the US going to a hospital RAISES your chances of developing complications BECAUSE of interventions. When birth is left alone things rarely go wrong.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009