Teens w/ ADHD and severe behavioral problems at home only.

We have a 14 year old son. Teachers and psychologists have suggested that they believe he has ADHD, basically a focusing problem. Over the past 1 1/2 years he has become increasingly aggressive, verbally and physically abusive to myself, my husband and out other two sons. We are at the point that we are considering sending him to a wilderness camp. This is so heartbreaking. Is there anyone out there that has had any experience with this?

cucbhappy

Asked by cucbhappy at 2:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• That can be a hard problem mom. I am sorry.

Is he in any type of therapy or behavior modification sessions? He might benifit from that a lot. Try to get help, sometimes they need outside help to be able to cope with life.

I do think the wilderness camps can help some types of children. Just make sure it is a reputable one that will treat your son well. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have a 13 year old who has similar symptoms. He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was about 8 years old. I highly recommend you get him into some kind of treatment program that will help him to learn to control this behavior.

It is very frustrating and sad, especially when you know what a sweet guy there is underneath that rage.

mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/

Answer by rkoloms at 5:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i have son who 13 yrs old also having Adhd.. He never abused me or hurt me but he loves to agrue with me. he think he is mr things. he takes pills to help him to stay focused at school. he still have problems being stay same task and helped him to into orgiazned skills but still not getting there... sorry for yr been going thru...
    LezPookie04

Answer by LezPookie04 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Kids that are ADHD, have more than a focusing problem to begin with. Secondly, kids with ADHD are not abusive or aggressive. You should have him evaluated by a professional counselor and see what they real problem is. Wilderness camp isn't going to work if you don't know what is wrong with him first. If he hits or hurts anyone, call the cops and have them take him to the station. Whatever his mental health issue is, he still needs to be held responsible for his actions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2009