my daughter is always bored. shes a 11 what should i do?

she thinks she needs to be with someone all the time. and has a very low self esteem. Mom needs help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• maybe join her in some sports or go to a recreation center by you and let her take some classes, maybe take some together, then she can develope some new freinds and hopefully not be so bord
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Try to get her to express her creativity. What are her interests? Help her express herself through photography.....or painting or drawing or writing or theatre, or anything that she might be interested in doing or trying. Give her enough freedom to feel things out and develop herself as a person, and be supportive of her!
    Anonymous

• Get her involved in some kind of activity that she will love doing and which is enriching for her too.

Volunteering in particular can make you feel very important and be a great boost to self esteem.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Sounds like my son and he is almost 13. Get her in sports or other activites that are team oriented. If she still complains start listing what she can do. I tell my son he can read, clean his room, wash the floors, vaccuum, wash windows, play outside with his friends, clean some more, read some more, write dictionary pages, do worksheets that I print off the computer. Pull weeds. cut the grass. He soon learned to NOT tell me he was bored and he learned to look for friends in the neighborhood.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Tell her to come over and hang out with me. I'm 56 and always bored. We'll find something to do! Maybe we can both find some self esteem on Ebay and share it! I think all youngsters her age get bored. Make it a challenge to find something to do. I've actually done that for myself this week. I bought a calendar and decided to fill in all the spaces with something no matter how small the action is. The idea is to just do something bc if we don't then ppl tend to get depressed and that's not good. Does she enjoy reading? Does she have a summer reading program? I taught Creative Writing to kids her age in the summers at the library. Maybe she likes to write stories. If so, she could do that and print them up and make her own book of short stories. Crafts? Adventures? I go walking and call them adventures. How about making her own music video or how to video if she knows how to do something special working all summer on it.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:55 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If she's bored because it's summer you can always give her some chores to do that will take her mind off of being bored.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I bought my daughter a laptop a few months ago. That did the trick. Also, we go to yard sales and I give her $10 to spend and she buys puzzles, play-dough, all kinds of stuff so she's not bored.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• First of all she should have plenty of chores to do. Clean out drawers, desk, closet etc. She can load and unload a dishwasher and do her own laundry. Together you guys could garden, exercise or take up something for the summer. Knitting, music lessons, going to the library or some new craft project would be fun. In our area we have free movies at a local theater. You could check that out and maybe once a week she could meet friends somewhere. There are lots of things to do. She does not have to be attached at the hip to friends.
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 1:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2009