How do you feel about full day kindergarten?

Personally, I don't like the idea and a lot of the school districts here in Connecticut are doing it. What do you think and why?

pinkgemini85

Asked by pinkgemini85 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am a teacher, and I feel its necessary. Children need to have a year to get prepared for the long day away from mom. And adjusting to this long day is better done in K than in first grade where the school work can be unbelievable.

Even K work is a lot more than parents realize it will be.

If you have a young 5, then I would suggest to place them in a half day preschool Kindergarten and then enroll them in public the next year. So they can have an advantage age wise over the other children.

School can be rough, getting them ready and prepared is not only the schools job, but the parents, and letting them go is part of that process.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My daughter will be going to Kindergarden in Sep..
    It is just 3 hours per day...

I would be happy if it was alittle bit longer...

I feel that a full day is too much though.

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• How do kids have a *year* to get prepared for being away from mom for a long day when they are going to be starting out with a *year* of being away from mom for a long day? If that's the purpose of Kindergarten, wouldn't it make more sense to start out with a half day to get prepared for being away for a long day?

And why must the schoolwork in 1st grade be "unbelievable"? They are still little kids.

It's ridiculous what the school systems expect from younger and younger kids. And for what? To be pretty much *over* school by the time they hit middle school?

To answer the question, if you couldn't guess by now, I'm completely against full day kindergarten. Neither of my children will be going at all. Well, my 5 year old would have started last year, but won't be going.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 3:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I LOVE the idea! My younger son will be in full-day Kindergarten in the fall. He will get on the bus at 8:15Am and be home by 3:45PM. He also has high-functioning autism (hyperlexic--can read, write, and spell--estimated to be at the THIRD grade level!, but needs help with comprehension), so the extra practice will be a benefit to him, and he'll learn much needed social skills and patience! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• What about children who have always had a SAHM and never went to any kind of daycare or preeschool before? Kindergarten should be the place where they get to adjust to spending time away from mom and it shouldn't be a jump into a full day away.

Why should I have to send my daughter to preschool to prepare her? I want her home with me and that is why she won't be in preschool.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• They will have a year to get prepared while they are not being bombarded with 1st grade work.

What I mean by that is if you push them into first grade and they are not use to it, they will be making serious adjustments while you expect this learning and work to be going on as well. THAT is too much.

I did not set the standards for K or 1st grade work, but I know them. And I can tell you they are pretty high. The expectations are that parents will assist in their childs education as well.

Children will live up to or down to your expectations most of the time. If you believe they can handle it, most of the time they will. If you believe its too hard and they cant do it, then a lot of times they will struggle.

To be truthful, my son turns 6 in July. I felt as though he was too young for a full day too, so I put in in half day K in a private preschool.

Cont,
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• misselphaba - I totally agree. We expect more and more from our children at younger and younger ages. Thats why I dont like the idea either.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• This upcoming year he will go full day to public K. It will still be a transition for him, but he is ahead of the game b/c of his extra year in K.....so the transition shouldn't affect his learning or cause him to fall behind.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The days of just playing with blocks, finger painting, and playing with friends are LONG over!

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=2143

Today's children need to master many more skills than we had to when we were in Kindergarten in order to keep up!  There is no such thing as being "done" with learning!  :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Lorikeet, you got it!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009