My child has just turned 2. She get two bottles a day. I have begun to only fill them w 3ozs each time. She gets one at nap and one at bedtime. How do I get her off completely???

busytexasmom

Asked by busytexasmom at 3:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Another thing - PPs said to just throw the bottles out or hide them... I don't really think that is a great idea (no offense), because over the course of a baby's life, bottles become a "friend" to them, and making them disappear will instill a feeling of insecurity in a child, a lot of times. By giving the child the choice, to have milk in a cup or water in the bottle, you are giving them the opportunity to decide for themselves that they prefer the cup, which not only helps them transition BY CHOICE to a "big kid" mentality, but gives them a feeling of control over their lives, both of which are great things for a young child to learn early.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• give her a sippy cup. one that has the soft nipples they seem to work better at first.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Just take them away. What does she drink out of the other times? Give her that instead. Completly get rid of the bottles, then she wont be able to drink out of them!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• tell her she's getting too big for bottles, and have her symbolically throw a couple of them in the garbage. then reward her, by taking her to the store to pick out "big girl cups". (sippy cups)
    we didnt have an issue with bottles, but this is similar to what we did with pacifiers.
    one more piece of advice- make sure they're ALL GONE, or it will be tempting to give in and let her have one if she fusses too much or throws a tantrum.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 3:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My DD had a bottle until she was about 18 months old...I was TERRIFIED of the heck it would cause to take them away. I worried about it, I asked for advice, I planned it around a long weekend so we would be home to deal with all the tantrums. We finally got the courage to do it and .................. it was absolutley no problem whatsoever. She asked for it like 2 times and we said no and she was totally fine. We were left speechless, very happily, I might add. LOL. We've had several instances like this with her binky, etc., and found every time that she totally surprised us and we worried for nothing.

The only issue we had was that she wouldn't drink milk from a sippy cuppy for MONTHS. I, of course, worried about it, but the ped assured me that a toddlers diet gets PLENTY of calcium, yougurt, cheese, etc. that it didn't matter.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• take her off of it completely...she'll learn to live without it
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Just throw them out when she goes to bed. Out of sight Out of mind. : ) Good luck.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 5:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I just did the weaning from the bottle with my 20-month old this week - I, like a PP, was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. We'd put it off, expecting a fight, but we bought a lot of those "sports bottles" with a nipple-like sipper lid, and began giving the old bottles ONLY with water. So when he asked for a bottle, I said, "You can either have a bottle with water, or a cup with milk." and after about a day of asking for the water, he started preferring the milk cups, and now, three days later, he never asks for a bottle anymore. He just says, "Muk!" (milk)... And is perfectly fine with the cups. Try it, at least. See how it works out.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• she's 2 and should be off the bottle...give her a sippy and tell her if she wants her night-night milk then she gets it in the sippy or not at all. She'll probably throw a FIT the first few times (or several) but just stick to it. Maybe have her throw the bottles away with you or give them to another baby friend.
    EBeauty03

Answer by EBeauty03 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2009